Where Tidal Stands 12 Months After Its Relaunch
One year ago today, Jay Z assembled some of the world’s most famous music artists in New York to announce the relaunch of Tidal, the music streaming service he had acquired a few weeks earlier. Tidal, backed by industry heavyweights such as Madonna, Kanye West, Coldplay and Beyoncé, set out to “reestablish the value of music” and “change the course of music history”.
It wasn’t until earlier this year though that Tidal really started making waves. In late January, Rihanna premiered her new album “Anti” exclusively on Tidal - albeit to limited success (the album was mistakenly released, taken down and made available again in a matter of hours). However it was Kanye West who really gave Tidal a long-awaited boost in subscriptions. The long-time Jay Z confidant released his highly anticipated album “The Life of Pablo” exclusively on Tidal and made a point in saying that it would never be available anywhere else. West’s album undoubtedly convinced many fans to subscribe to Tidal (the album was streamed 250 million times in its first ten days), but it remains unclear how many of them stuck with the service after the free trial period expired.
In a press release issued yesterday, Tidal announced it now has three million subscribers. The below chart shows where that puts Tidal vis-à-vis the competition in this growing but highly competitive market.
- Subscription music streaming: retail value of sales in the United Kingdom 2009-2015Subscription music streaming: retail value of sales in the United Kingdom 2009-2015
- Revenue from music streaming in Germany 2008-2015Revenue from music streaming in Germany 2008-2015
- Music streaming revenue in France 2008-2014Music streaming revenue in France 2008-2014
- Global digital music revenue 2005-2015Global digital music revenue 2005-2015
- Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2015Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2015
- Global music revenue 2015-2020, by sourceGlobal music revenue 2015-2020, by source
- Music market revenue in Germany 2003-2019Music market revenue in Germany 2003-2019
- Music industry revenue in Sweden from 2010-2019Music industry revenue in Sweden from 2010-2019
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl