Global PC Sales Fall to Eight-Year Low
Worldwide PC shipments hit an eight-year low in 2015 after declining for the fourth consecutive year. Global shipments dropped by 8 percent to 289 million in 2015, the lowest it’s been since 2007.
The decline of the PC industry started in 2012, around the time when tablet sales really took off. After a brief respite in 2014, when PC sales were virtually flat thanks to the end of official support for the popular Windows XP and the subsequent upgrade cycle, the market’s decline re-accelerated in 2015 despite the release of Windows 10 in July.
Gartner attributes the weak market performance at least partially to currency effects, which negatively affected sales in EMEA, Japan and Latin America. However, the analysts also see a structural change happening that will lead to fewer people using PCs over the next few years.
- Forecast: tablet PC sales in the United States 2010-2016Forecast: tablet PC sales in the United States 2010-2016
- Globa PC sales via PC stores, by vendor 2010 Globa PC sales via PC stores, by vendor 2010
- Globa PC sales via direct retail in 2010, by vendorGloba PC sales via direct retail in 2010, by vendor
- U.S. consumer electronics industry retail revenue 2012-2017U.S. consumer electronics industry retail revenue 2012-2017
- Global IT spending forecast 2012-2020, by segmentGlobal IT spending forecast 2012-2020, by segment
- Turnover of the game development market in Sweden 2010-2015Turnover of the game development market in Sweden 2010-2015
- Global market share held by computer operating systems 2012-2015, by monthGlobal market share held by computer operating systems 2012-2015, by month
- Video games revenue in Sweden from 2011-2020Video games revenue in Sweden from 2011-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl