U.S. Fishery Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the U.S. fishery industry
Alongside recent concerns relating to a variety of issues facing the global fishing industry, including supply and sustainability issues, overfishing, pollution, and climate change are other primary threats facing the industry. Industry experts assume that the fishery business will benefit from measures taken to prevent overfishing and from the choices individual consumers are making regarding their purchase of sustainably sourced seafood.
The United States was ranked among the leading fishing nations worldwide in 2014, based on capture production. Approximately 9.5 billion pounds of fish were caught in the United States in 2014, resulting in landings revenue of about 5.5 billion U.S. dollars for the seafood industry. The major domestic species include pollock, menhaden, salmon, flatfish, and cod.
The focus of the U.S. seafood industry is mainly concentrated on the Pacific Coast: 6.9 billion pounds of fish were caught in this region alone in 2014. The leading U.S. state in terms of seafood landings was by far Alaska with 5.67 billion pounds, distantly followed by Louisiana, Washington, and Virginia.
Picture: istockphoto.com / PicturePartners
- U.S. seafood industry commercial landings 2000-2015+U.S. seafood industry commercial landings 2000-2015
Commercial landings of the U.S. seafood industry from 2000 to 2015 (in 1,000 pounds)
- U.S. exports of edible fishery products 1940-2015+U.S. exports of edible fishery products 1940-2015
U.S. exports of edible fishery products from 1940 to 2015 (in metric tons)
- Global leading fishing nations 2014Global leading fishing nations 2014
Top 10 fishing nations worldwide in 2014 (in metric tons)*
- Fish production worldwide 2002-2014+Fish production worldwide 2002-2014
Global fish production from 2002 to 2014 (in million metric tons)*
- Pet industry: leading North-American specialty chains 2016, by number of stores Pet industry: leading North-American specialty chains 2016, by number of stores
- Fish production worldwide 2002-2014Fish production worldwide 2002-2014
- World fish production - fishing and aquaculture 2007-2014World fish production - fishing and aquaculture 2007-2014
- Pet food market sales volume in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016, by animal typePet food market sales volume in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016, by animal type
- Pet food market value in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016, by animal typePet food market value in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016, by animal type