U.S. Food Retail Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the food retail industry in the U.S.
The food retail industry comprises foods sold at food retailers such as grocery stores, mass merchandisers, drug stores, convenience stores and foodservice facilities. Total retail and food service sales in the United States amounted to about 5.32 trillion U.S. dollars in 2015.
The American retail landscape is characterized by leading food retailers such as Walmart, Kroger and Costco. Walmart (excluding Walmart International and Sam's Club) generated net sales amounting to 298.38 billion U.S. dollars in 2016 and operated 4,574 stores nationwide.
Shoppers in the United States made about 1.6 trips to grocery stores on average per week in 2016. According to a recent survey, some 65 percent of U.S. shopping trips are reported as quick trips, while 10 percent of shopping trips were driven by pantry-stocking. In addition, customers tend to do their grocery shopping mainly between 11 am and 3pm.
Photo: istockphoto.com / monticello
|U.S. Food Retail Market||Values||Statistic|
|Total retail and food services sales in the U.S.||$5.32tn||Details →|
|Grocery store sales in the U.S.||$606.26bn||Details →|
|Drinking place sales in the U.S.||$23.15bn||Details →|
|Special food service sales in the U.S.||$46.89bn||Details →|
|Structure of the U.S. Food Retail Industry||Values||Statistic|
|Number of supermarket stores in the U.S.||38,015||Details →|
|Supermarket sales in the U.S.||$649,087m||Details →|
|Average sales per store of supermarkets in the U.S.||$17.08m||Details →|
|Average per store number of full-time equivalent employees of supermarkets in the U.S.||72||Details →|
|U.S. Consumer Behavior||Values||Statistic|
|Median household income in the U.S.||$56,516||Details →|
|Average annual food at-home expenditure of U.S. households||$4,015||Details →|
|Average annual food away-from-home expenditures of U.S. households||$3,008||Details →|
- Total retail and food services sales in the U.S. 1992-2015+Total retail and food services sales in the U.S. 1992-2015
Total retail and food services sales in the United States from 1992 to 2015 (in trillion U.S. dollars)
- Weekly U.S. household grocery expenditure by household type 2016+Weekly U.S. household grocery expenditure by household type 2016
Weekly household grocery spendings in the United States 2016, by household type (in U.S. dollars)
- Average sales per store of U.S. supermarkets 2012-2015+Average sales per store of U.S. supermarkets 2012-2015
Average sales per store of supermarkets in the United States from 2012 to 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
- U.S. retail food and beverage sales for the Fourth of July 2015, by category+U.S. retail food and beverage sales for the Fourth of July 2015, by category
Retail food and beverage sales in the United States for the weeks leading up to the Fourth of July 2015, by category (in million U.S. dollars)
- China: weekly box office revenue - April 17 to April 23, 2017China: weekly box office revenue - April 17 to April 23, 2017
- YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2017YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2017
- Worldwide weekend box office revenue - April 2017Worldwide weekend box office revenue - April 2017
- Passenger car sales in China 2008-2017*, by modelPassenger car sales in China 2008-2017*, by model
- Commercial vehicle sales in China 2008-2017, by modelCommercial vehicle sales in China 2008-2017, by model