Mobile video in the United States - Statistics & Facts

With the wide availability of high-speed mobile internet and the ever-growing digital content landscape, it comes as no surprise that mobile has overtaken desktop in terms of video viewership in the United States. During a November 2018 survey, 62 percent of responding U.S. internet users stated that they watched video content via mobile, compared to only 55 percent of respondents who said the same about watching video on a computer. On average, U.S. adults spent 13 minutes per day accessing video apps on a smartphone, which although more than via computer is hardly remarkable compared to how much time they spend with live or time-shifted TV (almost four and a half hours per day).

There is a plethora of video content available to mobile video audiences in the United States. Apart from Google’s go-to video platform YouTube, most streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Video have also launched mobile apps to enable their subscribers to watch shows and movies on the go. As of September 2019, the most popular mobile music and video app in the United States was YouTube, with an 87.7 percent mobile audience reach. In comparison, Netflix’s mobile audience reach amounted to 24.9 percent, which translates to a monthly mobile U.S. app audience of 45.66 million users. Netflix is also the highest-grossing entertainment app in the Apple App Store, ahead of Hulu, HBO NOW, and YouTube TV. The platform also tops the ranking of the most-downloaded entertainment apps in the United States, highlighting the importance of a mobile app for SVoD services.

Despite the relevance of on-demand video services via mobile, there is also another emerging player that has gained traction over the past years: mobile social video. Be it professionally produced video content posted by influencers to Instagram stories or snaps shared with friends on Snapchat – social is mobile and many mobile-first social platforms have become synonymous with easy video sharing among friends and followers. Social media users are watching video content across all social media platforms, and the fact that mobile accounts for over 80 percent of social media visits in the United States emphasizes how significant a role mobile social content plays in people’s lives. Brands have also been picking up on the potential of mobile social video content: most Instagram brand posts are images; however a total of 18 percent are video posts. According to marketers in the United States, Instagram stories and videos rank among the most effective types of content for influencer marketing.

Mobile video ad spending has already overtaken desktop video ad spending in the United States and is projected to surpass 8.6 billion U.S. dollars in 2023. Video accounted for approximately 39 percent of U.S. mobile ad requests, with the remaining 61 percent being claimed by display advertising.

Interesting statistics

In the following 4 chapters, you will quickly find the 37 most important statistics relating to "Mobile video in the United States".

Mobile video in the United States

Dossier on the topic

All important statistics are prepared by our experts – available for direct download as PPT & PDF!

Important key figures

The most important key figures provide you with a compact summary of the topic of "Mobile video in the United States" and take you straight to the corresponding statistics.

User engagement


Any more questions?

Any more questions?

Get in touch with us quickly and easily.
We are happy to help!

Get in touch with us quickly and easily.
We are happy to help!

Do you still have questions?

Feel free to contact us anytime using our contact form or visit our FAQ page.