How People Use Mobile Payments
When Apple introduces the new iPhone on September 9, one of the standout features is rumoured to be a new mobile payment service. The new service is widely expected to utilize near field communication (NFC), a technology Apple has chosen to ignore up until now.
The lack of NFC support in current generation iPhones has likely hindered a wider adoption of NFC by both merchants and consumers, as data published by Nielsen suggests. Only 37% of mobile payment users in the U.S. have used their smartphone to pay for goods or services using NFC, while 45% have made payments by presenting a barcode on their phone's screen for the cashier to scan.
If Apple decides to include NFC in its future devices however, that could really be a breakthrough for NFC and mobile payments in general. Considering Apple's solvent clientele and the fact that the company has reportedly reached deals with all three major credit card companies, it will be hard for merchants not to adopt whatever payment system Apple might present next week.
- U.S. mobile wallet usage frequency 2016, by type of storeU.S. mobile wallet usage frequency 2016, by type of store
- Asia: smartphone mobile wallet activities 2014Asia: smartphone mobile wallet activities 2014
- Mobile wallet success factors 2015Mobile wallet success factors 2015
- PayPal: annual mobile payment volume 2008-2016PayPal: annual mobile payment volume 2008-2016
- Mobile e-commerce growth in Scandinavia 2012-2016Mobile e-commerce growth in Scandinavia 2012-2016
- Relative use of contactless payments in the Netherlands 2015-2016, by age groupRelative use of contactless payments in the Netherlands 2015-2016, by age group
- Payment methods for online purchases in Denmark 2016Payment methods for online purchases in Denmark 2016
- PayPal: active registered user accounts 2010-2016PayPal: active registered user accounts 2010-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl