E-Books By The Numbers
Even though the global e-book industry is worth $8.5 billion, this still pales in comparison with print's $53.9 billion. The pace of the digital reading revolution has slackened considerably with growth plumetting to just 5 percent in 2013. Meanwhile revenue stagnated between 2012 and 2013 at just over $3 billion.
Could it be that people prefer their dusty paperbacks to the influx of electronic devices? 46 percent of American internet users only read printed books while just 6 percent read e-books exclusively. It looks like the death knell for brick and mortar book stores is still a long way off.
- Italy: online purchase of books (e-books incl) Italy 2014, by age groupItaly: online purchase of books (e-books incl) Italy 2014, by age group
- Book and e-book usage in Germany 2013-2016Book and e-book usage in Germany 2013-2016
- Consumer spending on e-books in Germany 2006-2014Consumer spending on e-books in Germany 2006-2014
- Book store sales in the U.S. 1992-2015Book store sales in the U.S. 1992-2015
- Daily media usage in Sweden 2016, by mediumDaily media usage in Sweden 2016, by medium
- Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016
- Leading children's books publishers in the U.S. 2016Leading children's books publishers in the U.S. 2016
- U.S. children's books publishers: market shares 2016U.S. children's books publishers: market shares 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl