The World's Biggest Employers
Many people assume the world's biggest employers are Chinese or Indian, given the size of the population in both countries. However, research has revealed that the US Department of Defense is actually the world's largest employer, boasting a massive workforce 3.2 million strong.
China's military, the People's Liberation Army, is in second position with 2.3 million. Walmart and McDonald's come third and fourth while the NHS is another surprise package in fifth place. England's National Health Service has 1.7 million employees, more than Indian Railways or India's armed forces.
- U.S. government - outlays of the Department of DefenseU.S. government - outlays of the Department of Defense
- Health program outlays by U.S. Department of Defense 2010-2020Health program outlays by U.S. Department of Defense 2010-2020
- U.S. Department of Defense expenditures in 2013, by stateU.S. Department of Defense expenditures in 2013, by state
- Unemployment rate in the U.S. 1990-2016Unemployment rate in the U.S. 1990-2016
- Health insurance status of the U.S. population 2015Health insurance status of the U.S. population 2015
- Leading banks in the U.S. 2015, by number of employeesLeading banks in the U.S. 2015, by number of employees
- State unemployment rate in the U.S. in January 2017State unemployment rate in the U.S. in January 2017
- Unemployment level - seasonally unadjusted monthly number in the U.S., February 2017Unemployment level - seasonally unadjusted monthly number in the U.S., February 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl