Number of hospitals in Japan 2009-2018

As of October 2018, there was a total number of 8,372 hospitals in Japan, slightly down from 8,412 hospitals in the previous year. The prefecture with the highest number of hospitals among all 47 prefectures in Japan was Tokyo, with approximately 650 hospitals recorded during the measured period.

Availability of hospitals in Japan

Despite the highest number of existing hospitals in Tokyo Prefecture, when it comes to the density of hospitals, other prefectures surpass Tokyo by far. As of 2018, Kochi Prefecture ranked first among other prefectures with close to 18 hospitals available per 100 thousand inhabitants in that area. In contrast, only around 4.7 hospitals were provided per 100 thousand inhabitants in Tokyo. That year, the average number of hospital beds offered per 100 thousand inhabitants in Japan reached approximately 1,220.

Health care system in Japan

Every citizen in Japan is entitled to be covered by public health insurance under the National Health Insurance Act enacted in 1958. Public health insurance systems in the country can be classified into three categories; employees’ insurance, national insurance, and the medical service system for late-stage elderly. Those systems normally cover 70 percent of the medical expenses of any patient, leaving 30 percent of the cost to be paid by the patients at cash desks of medical institutes. Citizens in Japan are also free to choose at any time from any of the medical organizations and doctors to be treated by. This highly advanced and fair health care system in Japan has contributed to its position as the nation with the highest life expectancy in the world, at approximately 87.2 years old.

Aging society of Japan

The high life expectancy of its citizens has led to an ageing society in Japan. Supplemented with a low fertility rate, Japan is now becoming one of the fastest aging populations in the world. It may be, therefore, necessary for the government in Japan to further develop its health care system, shifting its focus towards the elderly population.

Total number of hospitals in Japan from 2009 to 2018

Exclusive Premium statistic

You need a Single Account for unlimited access.

  • Full access to 1m statistics

  • Incl. source references

  • Available to download in PNG, PDF, XLS format

Single Account

$39 $59 per month *
in the first 12 months
33% Discount until October 31st
*Duration: 12 months, billed annually, single license

Access to this and all other statistics on 80,000 topics from

$468 / Year
$708 / Year

Show detailed source information?
Register for free
Already a member?
Log in
Source

Release date

September 2019

Region

Japan

Survey time period

2009 to 2018; as of October 1 of each year

Supplementary notes

Figures of 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016 come from previous reporting.

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.
This statistic is not included in your account.

Single Account
The ideal entry-level account for individual users
  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references
$59 $39 / Month *
in the first 12 months
Corporate Account
Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

* All products require an annual contract; Prices do not include sales tax.

Statistics on "Health care in Japan"

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.