Snowden Revelations Push DuckDuckGo
Besides being useful for finding information online, search engines like Google and Bing also store a lot of information about their users. Those who want to avoid this have few alternatives. DuckDuckGo, however, presents itself as an alternative search engine that does not collect any user data.
Since the Washington Post and the Guardian first publicized the NSA monitoring of user data at the beginning of June, the number of DuckDuckGo searches has risen sharply. In May 2013, just prior to the Snowden revelations, it had an average of 1.8 million search queries. This increased to 4.4 million by January 2014.
Whether or not alternative search engines like DuckDuckGo or Ixquick really provide protection against the curiosity of the NSA can be disputed. Unlike Google, however, at least these organizations do not report directly to the U.S. Secret Service.
- Accuracy or bias of search engine results in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2015Accuracy or bias of search engine results in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2015
- Search engine user actions in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012Search engine user actions in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012
- Search engine advertising market value in France 2012-2015Search engine advertising market value in France 2012-2015
- Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016
- Activities of internet users in China 2016Activities of internet users in China 2016
- Trust in advertising in the U.S. by medium 2016Trust in advertising in the U.S. by medium 2016
- Internet search term indices for "job vacancy" in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015-2016Internet search term indices for "job vacancy" in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015-2016
- Popularity of marketing channels in the U.S. 2016Popularity of marketing channels in the U.S. 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl