Europe's Most Useful Foreign Languages
There are 23 officially recognised languages within the European Union while there are more than 60 indigenous regional and minority languages. 54 percent of Europeans are able to have a conversation in one additional language while 25 percent can converse in two.
English is the most widely spoken foreign language in the European Union (38 percent) followed by French and German. It is also the language European citizens consider the most useful second language to learn. Luxembourg is the only non-English speaking country that ranked a different language to English as the most useful foreign tongue to master. When it comes to the languages Europeans consider the most useful after English, things become even more illuminating, with Russian, German and French the most dominant.
- Total population of the European Union (EU) 2016Total population of the European Union (EU) 2016
- Youth unemployment rate in the European Union and the euro area 2016Youth unemployment rate in the European Union and the euro area 2016
- Gross domestic product (GDP) in the European Union (EU) until 2015Gross domestic product (GDP) in the European Union (EU) until 2015
- Unemployment rate in EU countries January 2017Unemployment rate in EU countries January 2017
- Value of imports into China by month February 2017Value of imports into China by month February 2017
- Monthly value of exports from China by month February 2017Monthly value of exports from China by month February 2017
- China's total imports and exports 2010-2016China's total imports and exports 2010-2016
- Monthly unemployment rate in the EU and Euro area December 2016Monthly unemployment rate in the EU and Euro area December 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl