15. Anniversary of 9/11 Attacks
The Most Costly Man-Made Disaster
The 9/11 attacks are the most costly man-made catastrophe, at least if you look at them from the perspective of the insurance industry. The attacks against the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and other buildings in the US cost more than 25 billion dollars in damages.
Mostly it’s Mother Nature who causes havoc on an equal or even bigger scale. Then again, some argue that while this type of disasters isn’t directly caused by mankind, the human impact on nature increasingly makes itself felt in the form of extreme weather conditions.
Even if you want to blame nature alone, events like Hurricane Katrina, show that the effects of such catastrophes can be exacerbated by lack of preparation and inappropriate response to natural disaster. Katrina was the costliest natural disaster in recent history by far.
- Most expensive natural disasters for the insurance industry worldwide 1980-2015Most expensive natural disasters for the insurance industry worldwide 1980-2015
- Most costly natural disasters to insurance industry worldwide 2015Most costly natural disasters to insurance industry worldwide 2015
- Most expensive terrorist attacks worldwide 2015, by insured property lossesMost expensive terrorist attacks worldwide 2015, by insured property losses
- Change of gasoline price in selected countries 2016-2017Change of gasoline price in selected countries 2016-2017
- Italy: most striking news of the week 21-27 March, 2017Italy: most striking news of the week 21-27 March, 2017
- U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17
- Leading banks in the U.S. 2016, by number of employeesLeading banks in the U.S. 2016, by number of employees
- U.S. personal income 1990-2016U.S. personal income 1990-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl