Art Market - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the Art Market
The arts & culture market in general is a very diverse market. It is estimated that each year about 150 billion U.S. dollars are spent by consumers on arts and culture-related goods in the U.S. This spending, however, did not just include expenditure on art museums and exhibitions but also encompass spending on books, recorded audio, video media, tickets to live performing arts and movies.
The arts, in the more narrow sense, are to a great extent dependent on funding, drawing funding and other resources from a broad pool of sources. Among these contributors are the government (federal, state and local), foundations, other non-profit organizations, corporations and private philanthropists. Federal arts and culture spending in the U.S. for example was at about 1.94 billion U.S. dollars in 2013, a per capita spending of six U.S. dollars.
Organizations that profit from such funding include art museums. The funding allows these museums to put together exhibitions which attract more than 30 million visitors per year in the U.S. One of the most visited art museums worldwide in 2015 was the the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, over 6.5 million visitors.
Picture: freeimages.com / Roger Kirby, Billy Alexander
|Expenditure, Participation & Workforce||Values||Statistic|
|Consumer expenditure on arts and cultural-related goods in the U.S.||$151.04bn||Details →|
|Total attendance at performing arts events in the U.S.||74.94m||Details →|
|Workers in arts and culture occupations in the U.S.||1.59m||Details →|
|Average yearly salary in artistic occupations in the U.S.||$53,859||Details →|
- Attendance at performing arts events in the U.S. 2003-2013Attendance at performing arts events in the U.S. 2003-2013
Population attending performing arts events in the United States from 2003 to 2013 (in millions)*
- Leading artists worldwide in 2015, by auction revenueLeading artists worldwide in 2015, by auction revenue
Leading artists worldwide in 2015, by auction revenue (in million U.S. dollars)
- Most visited art museums worldwide 2015+Most visited art museums worldwide 2015
Most visited art museums worldwide in 2015 (in millions)
- Leading art exhibitions worldwide in 2015, by number of daily visitors+Leading art exhibitions worldwide in 2015, by number of daily visitors
Leading art exhibitions worldwide in 2015, by number of daily visitors
- U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17
- Italy: entertainment industry venues in Abruzzo 2015, by typeItaly: entertainment industry venues in Abruzzo 2015, by type
- Bachelor's degrees earned in the United States by gender 1950-2026Bachelor's degrees earned in the United States by gender 1950-2026
- Sales value of the global art market 2005-2015Sales value of the global art market 2005-2015
- Creative industries gross value added (GVA) in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2014Creative industries gross value added (GVA) in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2014