Art Market - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the Art Market
The arts & culture market in general is a very diverse market. It is estimated that each year about 150 billion U.S. dollars are spent by consumers on arts and culture-related goods in the U.S. This spending, however, did not just include expenditure on art museums and exhibitions but also encompass spending on books, recorded audio, video media, tickets to live performing arts and movies.
The arts, in the more narrow sense, are to a great extent dependent on funding, drawing funding and other resources from a broad pool of sources. Among these contributors are the government (federal, state and local), foundations, other non-profit organizations, corporations and private philanthropists. Federal arts and culture spending in the U.S. for example was at about 1.94 billion U.S. dollars in 2013, a per capita spending of six U.S. dollars.
Organizations that profit from such funding include art museums. The funding allows these museums to put together exhibitions which attract more than 30 million visitors per year in the U.S. One of the most visited art museums worldwide in 2015 was the the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, over 6.5 million visitors.
Picture: freeimages.com / Roger Kirby, Billy Alexander
- Attendance at performing arts events in the U.S. 2003-2013Attendance at performing arts events in the U.S. 2003-2013
Population attending performing arts events in the United States from 2003 to 2013 (in millions)*
- Leading artists worldwide in 2016, by auction revenueLeading artists worldwide in 2016, by auction revenue
Leading artists worldwide in 2016, by auction revenue (in million U.S. dollars)
- Most visited art museums worldwide 2016+Most visited art museums worldwide 2016
Most visited art museums worldwide in 2016 (in millions)
- Leading art exhibitions worldwide in 2016, by number of daily visitors+Leading art exhibitions worldwide in 2016, by number of daily visitors
Leading art exhibitions worldwide in 2016, by number of daily visitors
- U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17
- Traditional toy industry revenue by super category 2016Traditional toy industry revenue by super category 2016
- Creative industries gross value added (GVA) in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2015Creative industries gross value added (GVA) in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2015
- Most popular television genres in Germany 2015-2016Most popular television genres in Germany 2015-2016
- Italy: entertainment industry venues in Abruzzo 2015, by typeItaly: entertainment industry venues in Abruzzo 2015, by type