U.S. Mobile Marketing - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Mobile Marketing in the U.S.
Mobile marketing involves initiatives that use mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets, as platforms for marketing. From the use of beacons to mobile optimization for sites and email marketing, there are several tools and tactics to approach mobile marketing. Mobile coupons, mobile payments, loyalty apps, push notifications, and in-store geolocation technology are few types of mobile tactics or technologies used by the retail marketing industry in the U.S. to reach its audience. For marketers in the U.S., cost effectiveness is one of the key benefits of mobile advertising, along with its reach and immediacy.
Mobile marketing is a promising field in the U.S. Not only the vast majority of marketers are somewhat satisfied with their mobile ads initiatives, but also around 64 percent of them said in 2015 that they expect to increase their mobile advertising budget over the next two years. The marketing industry in the U.S. is indeed projected to intensify investments in this area. Mobile advertising spending in the U.S. is estimated to more than double between 2015 and 2019. Mobile video internet advertising is forecast to experience an aggressive growth in the coming years, with expectations to grow from 3.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2015 to 13.3 billion U.S. dollars in 2020. Retail, financial services, automotive and telecommunication are the biggest mobile advertising spenders; together, they account for about nearly 60 percent of mobile ad spend in the U.S.
The effectiveness of mobile advertising is measured in different ways by marketers. Nearly half of marketers in the U.S. use sales to measure their mobile marketing success, while about 43 percent turn to social media shares and likes for that. Searches, application downloads, and texts or emails sent are also common metrics these marketers use to assess the success of their initiatives. Despite the rise of mobile marketing and its diverse uses, there are still challenges within this market. Marketers state that privacy is a major challenge in the mobile advertising industry in the U.S. The lack of standardized advertising units and agency expertise in mobile advertising are also mentioned as key challenges. About 50 percent of premium publishers, on the other hand, stated ad blockers are the primary mobile marketing challenge, followed by the quality of consumer experience.
|Budget & tactics||Values||Statistic|
|Share of U.S. SMEs investing in mobile marketing in 2016||21%||Details →|
|Most used mobile marketing tactic among U.S. SMEs in 2016||Text messaging||Details →|
|Most used mobile marketing tactic in retail in the U.S. in 2016||Mobile coupons||Details →|
|Share of U.S. SMEs which have optimised heir content for mobile devices in 2016||17%||Details →|
|Metrics & challenges||Values||Statistic|
|Metric most often used to measure mobile ad effectiveness in the U.S. in 2015||Sales||Details →|
|Metric most often used to measure mobile app success worldwide in 2015||Number of downloads||Details →|
|Largest challenge for mobile advertising in the U.S. in 2015||Privacy issues||Details →|
|Share of U.S. marketers using mobile as marketing channel in 2016||38%||Details →|
|Share of U.S. marketers completely satisfied with results of mobile ad activities in 2015||8%||Details →|
|Most important type of mobile inventory for U.S. marketers in 2015||Mobile-optimized website/landing page||Details →|
- Marketers' views on the challenges facing mobile advertising in the U.S. 2015Marketers' views on the challenges facing mobile advertising in the U.S. 2015
Importance given by marketers to challenges facing mobile advertising in the United States in 2015
- Mobile advertising budget allocation in the U.S. 2014+Mobile advertising budget allocation in the U.S. 2014
What is your mobile advertising budget for the fiscal year 2014?
- Mobile marketing tactics used by U.S. companies 2010-2014+Mobile marketing tactics used by U.S. companies 2010-2014
What mobile tools or tactics do your brand or agency's clients use?
- Mobile advertising response worldwide 2014, by age+Mobile advertising response worldwide 2014, by age
Has an advert you've seen prompted you to do any of the following?
- Mobile marketing communications spending in the U.S. from 2010 to 2015+Mobile marketing communications spending in the U.S. from 2010 to 2015
Mobile marketing communications spending in the United States from 2010 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Most effective mobile gaming app advertising companies 2014+Most effective mobile gaming app advertising companies 2014
Which advertising companies are most effective at maximizing revenue?
- Metrics used to measure mobile app success worldwide 2015+Metrics used to measure mobile app success worldwide 2015
Metrics used to measure mobile app success worldwide as of March 2015
- Media advertising expenditure in Germany 2017, by typeMedia advertising expenditure in Germany 2017, by type
- Internet advertising revenue in Sweden quarterly from 2015-2017Internet advertising revenue in Sweden quarterly from 2015-2017
- Digital advertising spending worldwide 2015-2020Digital advertising spending worldwide 2015-2020
- Advertising spending in the U.S. 2015-2020Advertising spending in the U.S. 2015-2020
- Mobile ad spend worldwide 2015-2020Mobile ad spend worldwide 2015-2020