Global economy - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the Global Economy
The global gross domestic product (GDP), i.e. the total value of all goods and services manufactured and produced in one year, amounted to approximately 77.3 trillion U.S. dollars in 2014. Among the states with the highest gross domestic product, the United States ranked first with almost 18 trillion U.S. dollars, followed by China, Japan, and Germany. According to a forecast for 2030, this ranking is about to be shaken up significantly, since emerging countries, such as the BRIC states China, India, Russia and Brazil, are growing faster than the industrialized states. In total, global economic growth amounted to about 3.43 percent in 2014 – an increase from 3.31 percent in 2013.
However, if we compare gross domestic product with the number of inhabitants and take a look at GDP per capita, the industrialized states are significantly ahead of the emerging countries. Luxembourg, Switzerland and Qatar have the highest GDP per capita worldwide as of 2015, while Malawi, the Central African Republic and Burundi lead the ranking of the countries with the lowest GDP per capita that same year. On average, global GDP per capita amounted to approximately 10,724 U.S. dollars in 2014.
In 2014, more than 200 million people were unemployed worldwide, equating to a global unemployment rate of approximately 6 percent. Among the world regions with the highest unemployment rates are North Africa and the Middle East, both with an unemployment rate of more than 10 percent.
The global inflation rate was at 3.45 percent in 2014. 2015, Consumer prices are increasing most significantly in Venezuela, South Sudan and Ukraine, while the lowest inflation rates were reported from Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and El Salvador.
The leading exporting country in 2014 was China, with exports worth about 2.3 trillion U.S. dollars, closely followed by the United States and Germany. The ranking of the leading importing countries, however, sees the United States at the top, followed by China and Germany.
Photo: sxc.hu / barunpatro; istockphoto.com / tforgo
|Gross Domestic Product||Values||Statistic|
|The U.S. are leading in terms of GDP||$18.56tn||Details →|
|GDP of emerging and developing countries||$29.25tn||Details →|
|Share of advanced economies in global GDP||41.85%||Details →|
|U.S. share of global GDP||15.59%||Details →|
|Unemployed persons in developed economies and the EU||44.8m||Details →|
|Zimbabwe has the highest unemployment rate worldwide||95%||Details →|
|Global youth unemployment rate||12.7%||Details →|
|Global inflation rate||2.78%||Details →|
|Inflation rate in Sub-Sahara||11.26%||Details →|
|South Sudan has highest inflation rate||476.02%||Details →|
|China is top export country||$2,275bn||Details →|
|U.S. are top import country||$2,307.95bn||Details →|
- Worldwide wealth distribution by net worth of individuals 2016+Worldwide wealth distribution by net worth of individuals 2016
Global wealth distribution in 2016, by net worth of individuals (in millions)
- Most populated continent - global population by continent 2016Most populated continent - global population by continent 2016
Global population by continent as of mid-2016 (in millions)
- Global youth unemployment rate until 2019Global youth unemployment rate until 2019
Global youth unemployment rate from 2009 to 2014 with a forecast up to 2019
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Italy: most striking news of the week 7-13 February 2017Italy: most striking news of the week 7-13 February 2017
- U.S. retail prices of diesel fuel monthly 2016-2017U.S. retail prices of diesel fuel monthly 2016-2017
- Full-time employees - unadjusted monthly number in the U.S. January 2017Full-time employees - unadjusted monthly number in the U.S. January 2017
- Sales of the leading luxury companies worldwide 2012-2018Sales of the leading luxury companies worldwide 2012-2018
- Monthly Dow Jones Industrial Average index performance 2014-2017Monthly Dow Jones Industrial Average index performance 2014-2017