Samsung vs. Apple
Samsung's Mobile Business Is Half the Size of Apple's
Samsung will unveil its new flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S8, at a special event in New York on March 29. Following the fiasco surrounding the Galaxy Note 7’s faulty batteries, the company has a lot riding on the Galaxy S8. In order to gain back consumer trust, the Korean electronics giant needs the launch of its next flagship device to go flawless, which is probably why the presentation was pushed back to late March.
Making up for the Galaxy Note debacle isn’t the only reason why the Galaxy S8 better be a hit: as our chart illustrates, Samsung has fallen behind Apple in terms of mobile device sales recently. The company may still lead the smartphone market in terms of unit sales, but in terms of revenue, the iPhone alone beats Samsung’s entire mobile communications unit by more than 70 percent.
- Samsung Electronics: global revenue 2005-2015Samsung Electronics: global revenue 2005-2015
- Apple and Samsung smartphone ownership Australia 2016, by ageApple and Samsung smartphone ownership Australia 2016, by age
- Global market share held by Samsung of global tablet shipments 2012-2016Global market share held by Samsung of global tablet shipments 2012-2016
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month March 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month March 2016
- Mobile operating systems: market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2017Mobile operating systems: market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2017
- Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies March 13-19, 2017Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies March 13-19, 2017
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl