What is Japan’s stance on e-mobility?
Japan is one of the leading industrial nations in the world, with auto production being a major pillar of the domestic economy. Yet, when it comes to battery-powered electric vehicles, the country’s largest manufacturers have been left behind by the latest technological shift in the automobile sector.
After focusing primarily on hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles in the past, Japan has been increasingly branching out in EV technologies. In early 2018, several Japanese vehicle manufacturers joined the newly founded company EV C.A. Spirit Corporation. The venture established by Toyota, Mazda and Denso is seen as an agreement among Japan’s top automotive players to collaborate on affordable electric vehicle technologies to catch up with international rivals’ production of battery-powered cars.
Efforts are likely to pay out, since EV registrations continue to rise in Japan, reaching almost 27 thousand newly registered passenger cars in 2018.
The most commonly known electric car models among Japanese were predominantly manufactured by domestic brands, such as the Nissan Leaf or Toyota’s Prius PHEV.
Is Japan’s future going to be greener?
As of mid-2019, the purchase of an electric vehicle was only considered by a small percentage of Japanese consumers, mainly due to the comparably high price point, but also due to an apparent lack of charging stations within the country. While there were approximately 22 thousand slow chargers publicly available in Japan in 2018, the number of fast chargers reached only about 7,700 stations in the same year.
However, a great share of consumers in Japan would be willing to invest in the purchase of an electric vehicle if the state offered certain incentives. Among those, tax rebates and subsidies were the most appealing motivators.
We are the global leading platform for business data from 600 industries and 50 countries.
$49 / Month *
Prices do not include sales tax.
in one Presentation
Everything On "Electric vehicles in Asia Pacific" in One Document: Edited and Divided into Handy Chapters. Including Detailed References.
Statista is a great source of knowledge, and pretty helpful to manage the daily work.
CEO, MindShare Germany
- Battery electric vehicle sales worldwide in 2012 and 2018, by region (in 1,000 units)Battery electric vehicle sales worldwide by region 2012 & 2018
- Battery electric vehicle sales across the Asia Pacific from 2009 to 2018 (in 1,000s)Battery electric vehicle sales in Asia Pacific 2011-2018
- Estimated electric vehicles in use in selected countries as of 2018 (in 1,000 units)Number of electric vehicles in use by country 2018
- Leading countries in the field of electromobility according to the Electric Vehicle Index in 2018Electric vehicle index - leading countries worldwide 2018
- Annual sales volume of new energy vehicles in China from 2011 to 2018, by type Annual sales of new energy vehicles in China 2011-2018, by type
- Electric vehicle sales across China in 2018, by original equipment manufacturer (OEM)Electric vehicle sales in China 2018 by OEM
- Retail sales of electric bicycles in China from 2010 to 2020 (in million units)E-bikes - retail sales in China 2010-2020
- Estimated number of electric vehicle charging stations in China from 2020 to 2030 (in millions) Estimated electric vehicle charging station number in China 2020-2030
- Total electric vehicle stock volume in Japan from 2009 to 2018 (in 1,000 units)Electric car stock in Japan 2009-2018
- Market share of electric vehicles in Japan from 2009 to 2018Electric car market share in Japan 2009-2018
- Annual sales volume of electric power assist bicycles in Japan from 2016 to 2018 (in 1,000s)Electric bike sales volume Japan 2016-2018
- Annual sales value of electric power assist bicycles in Japan from 2016 to 2018 (in billion Japanese yen)Electric bike sales value Japan 2016-2018
- Number of electric vehicles sold in South Korea from 2014 to 2018 (in 1,000s)Electric vehicles sales volume South Korea 2014-2018
- Leading electric vehicle models in South Korea in the first half of 2018, based on sales volumeMost sold electric vehicle model South Korea H1 2018
- Market size of electric bicycles in South Korea from 2012 to 2021 (in billion South Korean won)E-bike market size South Korea 2012-2021
- Estimated size of the electric vehicle charging market in South Korea from 2016 to 2020 (in billion South Korean won)Estimated electric vehicle charging market size in South Korea 2016-2020
- Number of electric vehicles in the two-wheeler segment across India from FY 2015 to FY 2018 (in 1,000s)Electric vehicle sales in two-wheeler segment India 2014-2018
- Share of electric vehicle production across India as of FY 2018, by sectorShare of electric vehicles production India 2018 by sector
- Projected number of electric two-wheelers across India from 2020 to 2030 (in millions)Projected number of electric two-wheelers India 2020-2030
- Projected number of electric three-wheelers and auto rickshaws across India from 2020 to 2030 (in millions)Projected number of electric three-wheelers and autos India 2020-2030
- Number of electric vehicles sold in Australia between 2011 and 2017Electric vehicle sales volume in Australia 2011-2017
- Number of public charging stations for electric vehicles in Australia in 2018, by stateElectric vehicle charging stations in Australia 2018
- Number of public charging points for electric vehicles in Australia in 2018, by state (per 100,000 residents)Charging points rate for electric vehicles in Australia 2018, by state