Global Smartphone Traffic to Increase 8x by 2020
Global smartphone data traffic is expected to explode in the next few years. According to Ericsson's latest mobility report, global smartphone traffic is set to grow from 2.1 exabyte per month this year to around 17 exabyte in 2020. The jump in data consumption will be sparked by a 130% increase the number of smartphone subscriptions on the one hand and by growing individual data consumption on the other hand.
On average, smartphone subscribers are predicted to use 3.5 gigabytes of data per months in 2020, up from an average of 900 megabytes in 2014. It needs to be noted though, that data consumption varies widely across different markets. Smartphone users in highly developed markets such as North America and Western Europe typically use more data, as faster networks enable them to carry out more traffic-intensive activities such as watching video.
- Smartphone usage in China in 2011, by activitySmartphone usage in China in 2011, by activity
- Smartphone usage activities carried out most days in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015Smartphone usage activities carried out most days in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015
- Smartphone usage among children and teenagers in Germany 2014, by age groupSmartphone usage among children and teenagers in Germany 2014, by age group
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016
- China: mobile phone subscribers by month June 2016China: mobile phone subscribers by month June 2016
- Number of mobile subscriptions worldwide 1993-2016Number of mobile subscriptions worldwide 1993-2016
- Leading 100 American retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2015Leading 100 American retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens