Facebook Dwarfs Competition in Terms of Referral Traffic
Facebook's significance as a traffic source for any website owner cannot be overstated. According to a new report by Shareaholic, who analysed the traffic of more than 200,000 websites around the globe between September 2013 and September 2014, the world's largest social network now drives more than a fifth of the overall traffic - direct traffic, social referrals, organic search, paid search, etc. - to these websites.
But not only is Facebook by far the most important source of social media traffic, it is also the fastest-growing one. In September 2014, Facebook referrals accounted for 22.4% of traffic to the sampled websites. That's an increase of more than 115% compared to September of last year, when Facebook drove 10.4% of traffic.
Twitter's role as a traffic source pales when compared to its larger rival Facebook. The share of traffic driven by Twitter referrals recently dropped to 0.9%, down from 1.2% in September 2013. The second largest source of social media traffic is Pinterest, which accounted for 5.5% of visits to the sampled websites in September.
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016
- Facebook share of U.S. social networking minutes 2014Facebook share of U.S. social networking minutes 2014
- Global number of internet users 2005-2016Global number of internet users 2005-2016
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2016Most popular Facebook fan pages 2016
- Online social network activities in the Netherlands 2012-2015Online social network activities in the Netherlands 2012-2015
- Leading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewersLeading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewers
- Revenue of global public internet companies 2014-2015Revenue of global public internet companies 2014-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens