U.S. Social Media Marketing - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Social Media Marketing in the United States
Social media started as an entertainment tool and evolved to a powerful marketing tool. While serving its primary purpose of connecting people, social media also plays a major role in connecting marketers with customers. Social media marketing is on the rise, as this type of media gains importance in the industry and shows potential for further development. Investments in social advertising worldwide are forecast to nearly double in a two-year time span, going from around 16 billion U.S. dollars in 2014 to nearly 31 billion U.S. dollars in 2016. The United States is, by far, the largest social media advertising market in the world, as more than 9.4 billion U.S. dollars were spent on social media ad in the country in 2015 alone.
Facebook, the leading social network in the world, is the most used social network for marketing proposes. The social network was also chosen by majority of the marketers as the single, most important social platform for their business. Twitter and LinkedIn were also popular amongst marketers, with respectively 79 percent and 71 percent of marketers affirming using these platforms. This preference for Facebook has a direct impact on the company’s total revenue and revenue per visit (RPV), considering advertising is the main source of revenue of the company. Facebook has the highest revenue and the highest RPV in the industry. For every visit on Facebook, the company amounts 1.25 U.S. dollars. Pinterest has the second highest RPV – 0.74 U.S. dollars.
Majority of the marketers see the success of social media as an important part of the overall marketing objectives of a company. Along with more traditional digital approaches and channels such as email marketing and content marketing, social networking marketing is considered one of the most effective digital marketing channels for customer retention in the U.S., a key objective of branding and marketing strategies. Marketers particularly turn to social media marketing to increase their audience engagement and brand awareness, as well as generating leads and sending traffic to the website. These are just a few of the leading social media marketing objectives. Global marketers also mentioned other benefits of using social media for marketing purposes such as providing marketplace insights, improving search ranking and improving sales.
Despite the rise of social media marketing, there are still challenges in measuring the results of this particular type of marketing investment. Thirty five percent of marketers are uncertain if they are able to measure the return of investment (ROI) of social media activities. This is also a concern amongst marketers in the U.S. Thirty eight percent of them stated not being able to see any return in the money spent in social media marketing, while just over half of them believe social media marketing is too time-consuming to manage.
Picture: Pinterest, Facebook, Google+, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter
|Global social media ad spend in 2016 (forecast)||30.99bn USD||Details →|
|Social media ad spend in the U.S. in 2017 (forecast)||13.51bn USD||Details →|
|Mobile social media ad revenue in the U.S. in 2017 (forecast)||13.86bn USD||Details →|
|Social media ad ARPU in the U.S. in 2017 (forecast)||65.91 USD||Details →|
|Objectives & tactics||Values||Statistic|
|Leading social media marketing objective worldwide in 2015||Increasing audience engagement||Details →|
|Leading social media marketing objective in the U.S. in 2014||Lead generation||Details →|
|Average weekly number of social media post of healthcare companies worldwide in 2015||7.68||Details →|
|Digital marketing tactic most difficult to execute worldwide in 2015||Social media||Details →|
- Global share of businesses using social media marketing 2011-2016+Global share of businesses using social media marketing 2011-2016
Do you use social media to market your business?
- Amount of time spent on social media marketing per week 2016+Amount of time spent on social media marketing per week 2016
Amount of time spent by marketers on social media marketing per week from 2011 to 2016
- Leading social media marketing objectives worldwide 2015+Leading social media marketing objectives worldwide 2015
Leading social media marketing objectives worldwide as of October 2015
- Ability to measure social media marketing ROI worldwide 2016+Ability to measure social media marketing ROI worldwide 2016
Do you agree with the statement: "I am able to measure the return on investment for my social media activities"?
- Social media: revenue of selected companies 2016+Social media: revenue of selected companies 2016
Revenue of selected social media companies from 2014 to 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Digital Market Outlook: social media advertising revenue in selected countries 2016+Digital Market Outlook: social media advertising revenue in selected countries 2016
Social media advertising revenue in selected countries worldwide in 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Social ad spend worldwide 2014-2016+Social ad spend worldwide 2014-2016
Social advertising spending worldwide from 2014 to 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Most effective digital marketing tactics worldwide 2016+Most effective digital marketing tactics worldwide 2016
Most effective digital marketing tactics worldwide in March 2016
- Social media profiles marketing adoption among SMEs in the U.S. 2016+Social media profiles marketing adoption among SMEs in the U.S. 2016
Marketing implementation of social media profiles among small to medium sized enterprise (SME) owners in the United States as of November 2016
- Instagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile sizeInstagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile size
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Social media penetration in the Netherlands 2017, by social networkSocial media penetration in the Netherlands 2017, by social network
- Advertising spending in the U.S. 2015-2020Advertising spending in the U.S. 2015-2020