U.S. Social Media Marketing - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Social Media Marketing in the United States
Social media started as an entertainment tool and evolved to a powerful marketing tool. While serving its primary purpose of connecting people, social media also plays a major role in connecting marketers with customers. Social media marketing is on the rise, as this type of media gains importance in the industry and shows potential for further development. Investments in social advertising worldwide are forecast to nearly double in a two-year time span, going from around 16 billion U.S. dollars in 2014 to nearly 31 billion U.S. dollars in 2016. The United States is, by far, the largest social media advertising market in the world, as more than 9.4 billion U.S. dollars were spent on social media ad in the country in 2015 alone.
Facebook, the leading social network in the world, is the most used social network for marketing proposes. The social network was also chosen by majority of the marketers as the single, most important social platform for their business. Twitter and LinkedIn were also popular amongst marketers, with respectively 79 percent and 71 percent of marketers affirming using these platforms. This preference for Facebook has a direct impact on the company’s total revenue and revenue per visit (RPV), considering advertising is the main source of revenue of the company. Facebook has the highest revenue and the highest RPV in the industry. For every visit on Facebook, the company amounts 1.25 U.S. dollars. Pinterest has the second highest RPV – 0.74 U.S. dollars.
Majority of the marketers see the success of social media as an important part of the overall marketing objectives of a company. Along with more traditional digital approaches and channels such as email marketing and content marketing, social networking marketing is considered one of the most effective digital marketing channels for customer retention in the U.S., a key objective of branding and marketing strategies. Marketers particularly turn to social media marketing to increase their audience engagement and brand awareness, as well as generating leads and sending traffic to the website. These are just a few of the leading social media marketing objectives. Global marketers also mentioned other benefits of using social media for marketing purposes such as providing marketplace insights, improving search ranking and improving sales.
Despite the rise of social media marketing, there are still challenges in measuring the results of this particular type of marketing investment. Thirty five percent of marketers are uncertain if they are able to measure the return of investment (ROI) of social media activities. This is also a concern amongst marketers in the U.S. Thirty eight percent of them stated not being able to see any return in the money spent in social media marketing, while just over half of them believe social media marketing is too time-consuming to manage.
Picture: Pinterest, Facebook, Google+, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter
|Worldwide social media revenue||$16.9bn||Details →|
|Social media marketing expenditure in the U.S.||$7.52bn||Details →|
|Forecasted social media marketing spending in the U.S. by 2019||$17.34bn||Details →|
|Advertising revenue of social networks worldwide||$25.14bn||Details →|
|Global share of businesses using social media marketing||97%||Details →|
|Facebook is the platform marketers use most||92%||Details →|
|Objectives & Metrics||Values||Statistic|
|Global companies use social media marketing to strengthen customer loyalty||32%||Details →|
|Clickthroughs are most important metric to measure success||58.7%||Details →|
- Amount of time spent on social media marketing per week 2016+Amount of time spent on social media marketing per week 2016
Amount of time spent by marketers on social media marketing per week from 2011 to 2016
- Social media marketing spending in the U.S. 2014-2019+Social media marketing spending in the U.S. 2014-2019
Social media marketing spending in the United States from 2014 to 2019 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Methods brands use for attracting social media followers worldwide 2015+Methods brands use for attracting social media followers worldwide 2015
How do you attract customers to connect with your brand's social media account(s)?
- Number of social media posts per company per week 2015, by sizeNumber of social media posts per company per week 2015, by size
Number of social media posts per company per week worldwide as of February 2015, by company size
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Popularity of marketing channels in the U.S. 2016Popularity of marketing channels in the U.S. 2016
- Types of ads influencing buying decisions in the U.S. 2015Types of ads influencing buying decisions in the U.S. 2015
- Instagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile sizeInstagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile size