Apple Claims 92% of Global Smartphone Profits
It is no secret that Apple’s iPhone business is exceptionally profitable. Recent estimates, released by investment bank Canaccord Genuity, show just how exceptional Apple’s position in the smartphone market really is: In the first three quarters of 2015, Apple claimed 92 percent of the industry’s aggregate profits. A number that is even more astonishing considering that the iPhone only accounted for 15 percent of global smartphone shipments during the same period.
Samsung, Apple’s main rival in the smartphone market, is the only other company taking a considerable cut of the industry’s profits, while most other smartphone makers are currently operating at a loss. A couple of years ago, numerous companies were able to operate profitably in the smartphone market, but the fierce competition for market share, especially in emerging markets such as China, has led to deteriorating profit margins for vendors of low- and mid-range devices.
Please note that the aggregate industry profits used to calculate profit shares as shown in the chart, take into account the losses made by unprofitable vendors. That’s why the combined profit share of Apple and Samsung adds up to more than 100 percent.
- Operating profits of investment banking sector globally 2010-2015Operating profits of investment banking sector globally 2010-2015
- Mobile OS: smartphone market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015Mobile OS: smartphone market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015
- Safilo Group: operating profits between 2012 and first semester of 2016Safilo Group: operating profits between 2012 and first semester of 2016
- Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2016Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2016
- Share of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendorShare of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendor
- Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017
- Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl