Try our corporate solution for free!
(212) 419-8286
hadley.ward@statista.com

Market share of tablet operating systems in the United States 2016-2020

Apple’s iOS is the leading operating system for tablets in the United States, with a market share of 63.84 percent as of August 2020. Its closest competitor Android has a smaller yet growing market presence, with almost 36 percent share of the market, in comparison to just over 20 percent a year ago.

iOS and Android: A duet

  In line with the United States, Apple’s iOS operating system dominates the tablet market in the United Kingdom as well with around 75 percent of market share in recent years, leaving Google’s Android with round about 25 percent of the market. However, on a global scale, Google’s Android is the leading operating system for tablets with a market share of more than 50 percent in recent quarters, while iOS has around a third of the market share. Windows tablets occupies the rest of the market with a little over ten percent share.

The Apple iPad

  Only introduced to the consumer market in 2010, the Apple iPad has become a household name in the tablet industry. The iPad has dramatically changed the tablet market not only in terms of technology but also consumer expectations. Since its initial release, Apple has gone on to release ten versions of the iPad, shipping nearly 15 million units worldwide in the second quarter of 2020 alone.

Tablet operating systems market share in the United States from 2016 to 2020

Exclusive Premium statistic

You need a Single Account for unlimited access.

  • Full access to 1m statistics

  • Incl. source references

  • Available to download in PNG, PDF, XLS format

Single Account

$39 $59 per month *
in the first 12 months
33% discount until March 31st
*Duration: 12 months, billed annually, single license

Access to this and all other statistics on 80,000 topics from

$468 / Year
$708 / Year

Show detailed source information?
Register for free
Already a member?
Log in
Source

Release date

September 2020

Region

United States

Survey time period

2016 to 2020

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.
This statistic is not included in your account.

Single Account
The ideal entry-level account for individual users
  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references
$59 $39 / Month *
in the first 12 months
Corporate Account
Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

* Prices do not include sales tax.

Statistics on "Tablets"

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.