Beer Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the beer industry
Beer is a widely consumed alcoholic beverage throughout the world and global production figures have shown an increasing trend during the last decade. In 2015, the United States was the second largest country in worldwide beer production with an amount of about 224 million hectoliters, following only China.
The global beer market is characterized by key players such as AB Inbev, Heineken Holding, SABMiller, Kirin Holdings, and Asahi Group Holdings. AB InBev topped the ranking with sales amounting to about 43.6 billion U.S. dollars in 2015. The company's iconic beer brand Budweiser had a global brand value amounting to about 14.7 billion U.S. dollars in 2016. Bud Light and Heineken rounded off the most valuable beer brands in that year.
On the U.S. beer market, about 33.38 billion U.S. dollars were registered in sales in 2015. About a third of the U.S. beer volume was sold through convenience stores. Grocery stores were the second most important distribution channel.
In 2015, about 45.5 percent of the U.S. beer consumption was attributable to light beer. This result corresponds to the sales of the leading domestic beer brands two years later: Bud Light was the top ranked American beer brand, based on sales of about two billion U.S. dollars. That equaled a market share of about 18.4 percent among domestic beer brands.
Photo: freeimages.com / macleod, engindeniz, Egahen
|Beer production worldwide||Values||Statistic|
|Beer production worldwide||1.93bn hl||Details →|
|Beer produced in China||471.57bn hl||Details →|
|Production volume of AbInBev worldwide||409.9m hl||Details →|
|Beer production in the U.S.||190.48m bbl||Details →|
|Total number of breweries in the U.S.||5,301||Details →|
|Beer imported to the U.S.||29,430k bbl||Details →|
|Alcoholic beverage sales in the U.S.||219.52bn USD||Details →|
|Sales of Bud Light in the U.S.||2,031.6m USD||Details →|
|Brand value of Bud Light worldwide||13,198m USD||Details →|
|Sales of Anheuser-Busch InBev worldwide||43.6bn USD||Details →|
|Beer net sales of Constellation Brands worldwide||3,622.6m USD||Details →|
- Global leading brewing groups based on production volume 2015+Global leading brewing groups based on production volume 2015
The world's leading 10 brewing groups in 2015, based on production volume (in million hectoliters)*
- Beer amounts imported to the U.S. 2004-2014+Beer amounts imported to the U.S. 2004-2014
Beer volume imported to the United States from 2004 to 2014 (in 1,000 barrels)
- Most valued beer brands worldwide 2016+Most valued beer brands worldwide 2016
Brand value of the leading beer brands worldwide in 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Global beer price index: most affordable cities to drink a beer as of June 2016Global beer price index: most affordable cities to drink a beer as of June 2016
Most affordable cities to drink a cold beer worldwide as of June 2016, based on beer price index (in U.S. dollars)*
- Countries with highest per capita consumption of alcohol 2016Countries with highest per capita consumption of alcohol 2016
- U.S. beer market: leading imported beer brands 2016, based on salesU.S. beer market: leading imported beer brands 2016, based on sales
- Global beer production 1998-2015Global beer production 1998-2015
- Sales of the leading beer companies worldwide 2015Sales of the leading beer companies worldwide 2015
- Volume of beer sold in Germany 2014 to 2016Volume of beer sold in Germany 2014 to 2016