Hispanics in the U.S.: Shopping Behavior - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the shopping behavior among Hispanic consumers in the U.S.
The Hispanic demographic has been steadily growing in the United States for several years and it is expected to keep increasing. Due to the large base population and expanding economic power, Hispanics are being one of the key groups being targeted by economists, marketers, and advertisers.
Recent data showed that Hispanic buying power represents a significant share of the United States market, with the dollar amount expected to grow by 0.7 trillion between 2010 and 2017. Hispanic consumers indicated that they spend an average of about 81 U.S. dollars on food during a shopping trip in 2014. The average expenditure of Hispanic men and women on food did not differ greatly.
The market size of Hispanic foods and beverages in the United States is on the rise. When it comes to supermarket preference, about 61 percent of Hispanic Millennials in the U.S. said that they have shopped at a Hispanic supermarket. The preference for Hispanic grocers may be related to language barrier. According to a recent U.S. survey, about 98 percent of Hispanic Millennials who have shopped at a Hispanic supermarket indicated that they speak predominantly Spanish.
Of the multiple factors which impact Hispanic shoppers’ purchases, the availability of coupons at the shelf plays an important role. A survey conducted in the United States in 2015 revealed that the availability of coupons at the shelf impacted purchases of approximately 26 percent of Hispanic shoppers. The same survey found that Hispanic consumers were most likely to use store’s special offers for cookware and cooking equipment.
Picture: istockphoto.com / lana13r
|Hispanic population of the U.S.||56.59 million||Details →|
|Forecast of the Hispanic population in the U.S. in 2050||143.53m||Details →|
|Forecasted buying power of the U.S. Hispanic population in 2015||$1.5tn||Details →|
|Average number of shopping trips by U.S. Hispanics||143||Details →|
|U.S. Hispanics are mostly accompanied by spouse/partner on shopping trips||50%||Details →|
|Hispanic consumers who cook more frequently at home||68%||Details →|
|Hispanic consumers who shop around to get better deals||43%||Details →|
|Hispanic consumers' grocery expenditure on average in the U.S.||$425/mo||Details →|
|Hispanics' average shopping expenditure per household per trip in the U.S.||$52||Details →|
- Buying power of the U.S. Hispanic population 1990-2017+Buying power of the U.S. Hispanic population 1990-2017
Buying power of Hispanic consumers in the United States from 1990 to 2017 (in trillion U.S. dollars)
- Hispanics: market size of foods and beverages in the U.S. 2009, 2012, and 2017+Hispanics: market size of foods and beverages in the U.S. 2009, 2012, and 2017
Market size of Hispanic foods and beverages in the United States in 2009, 2012, and 2017, based on sales (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Hispanis Millennials who shopped at a Hispanic grocery in the U.S. 2015, by language+Hispanis Millennials who shopped at a Hispanic grocery in the U.S. 2015, by language
Hispanic Millennials who shopped at a Hispanic supermarket in the United States as of 2015, by language
- Adult overweight and obesity rates in the U.S. by ethnicity 2015Adult overweight and obesity rates in the U.S. by ethnicity 2015
- U.S. sedentary lifestyle among adults by ethnicity 2016U.S. sedentary lifestyle among adults by ethnicity 2016
- Shopping behavior: online versus traditional retail in Germany 2016, by product groupShopping behavior: online versus traditional retail in Germany 2016, by product group
- Current asthma prevalence in the U.S. by age and ethnicity 2015Current asthma prevalence in the U.S. by age and ethnicity 2015
- Value of the U.S. entertainment and media market 2011-2020Value of the U.S. entertainment and media market 2011-2020