Social Networking Is the No. 1 Online Activity in the U.S.
Three hours and six minutes. That’s the average time American adults spent online each day in the past year, up from two hours 34 in 2010. The internet is now firmly established as the second most important medium in our lives, as the TV remains the number 1 with more than five hours of everyday use.
According to GfK’s data, social networking takes up the most of Americans’ online time. On average, Americans spent 37 minutes per day with services such as Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn in the past year. Email is the second most popular online activity in the U.S. with an average use of 33 minutes per day. Surprisingly, Americans spent more time watching online videos than they did using search engines last year. With growing adoption of services such as Netflix and Hulu, online video consumption has increased steeply in the past three years, from just 10 minutes per day in 2010 to 24 minutes in 2012.
- Internet usage frequency during the last three months in Belgium 2015Internet usage frequency during the last three months in Belgium 2015
- Duration of monthly internet usage in Latin American countries 2016Duration of monthly internet usage in Latin American countries 2016
- Average daily internet usage worldwide 2015, by deviceAverage daily internet usage worldwide 2015, by device
- Internet penetration in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2015Internet penetration in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2015
- China: mobile phone subscribers by month May 2016China: mobile phone subscribers by month May 2016
- Share of individuals with internet access in the Netherlands 2012-2015Share of individuals with internet access in the Netherlands 2012-2015
- Last time using the internet in the Netherlands 2012-2015Last time using the internet in the Netherlands 2012-2015
- Global social network penetration 2014-2019Global social network penetration 2014-2019
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens