Social Networking Is the No. 1 Online Activity in the U.S.
Three hours and six minutes. That’s the average time American adults spent online each day in the past year, up from two hours 34 in 2010. The internet is now firmly established as the second most important medium in our lives, as the TV remains the number 1 with more than five hours of everyday use.
According to GfK’s data, social networking takes up the most of Americans’ online time. On average, Americans spent 37 minutes per day with services such as Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn in the past year. Email is the second most popular online activity in the U.S. with an average use of 33 minutes per day. Surprisingly, Americans spent more time watching online videos than they did using search engines last year. With growing adoption of services such as Netflix and Hulu, online video consumption has increased steeply in the past three years, from just 10 minutes per day in 2010 to 24 minutes in 2012.
- Internet usage frequency during the last three months in Belgium 2015Internet usage frequency during the last three months in Belgium 2015
- Share of U.S. online time spent on digital platforms 2016, by age groupShare of U.S. online time spent on digital platforms 2016, by age group
- Average daily internet usage worldwide 2014, by age and deviceAverage daily internet usage worldwide 2014, by age and device
- Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2016Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2016
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month September 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month September 2016
- Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites 2016Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites 2016
- Online shoppers in the Nordic countries 2015-2016Online shoppers in the Nordic countries 2015-2016
- Daily internet users in Great Britain 2006-2015Daily internet users in Great Britain 2006-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl