World Cup Joy Muffled by Brazilian Social Issues
Yesterday's kick-off of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil was partly overshadowed by demonstrations of parts of the host country's discontent population. The reasons for the unrest are comprehensible. To host the World Cup, Brazil had to spent hundreds of millions on stadiums and related infrastructure, while many social issues in the divided nation remain unsolved. Brazil's recent economic emergence has brought prosperity and wealth to parts of the population, while many have been left behind.
A recently published Pew Research report shines a light on the key issues causing concern within Brazil's population. Rising prices, the high crime rate and a faulty health care system are among the most important reasons why a record 72% of Brazilian's are dissatisfied with the way things are going in their country. It remains to be hoped that Brazil as a whole will profit from hosting World Cup in the long run, and that those who fear the tournament will negatively affect the situation in Brazil can be proven wrong.
- Brand value of the FIFA World Cup 2012-2016Brand value of the FIFA World Cup 2012-2016
- FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil total costsFIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil total costs
- Capacity of stadiums at the FIFA World Cup 2014 in BrazilCapacity of stadiums at the FIFA World Cup 2014 in Brazil
- Monthly inflation rate in China February 2017Monthly inflation rate in China February 2017
- World pharmaceutical sales 2014-2016 by region World pharmaceutical sales 2014-2016 by region
- Leading film markets worldwide 2016, by gross box office revenueLeading film markets worldwide 2016, by gross box office revenue
- Monthly inflation rate in Brazil January 2017Monthly inflation rate in Brazil January 2017
- Monthly unemployment rate in industrial and emerging countries December 2016Monthly unemployment rate in industrial and emerging countries December 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl