Where Syria's Foreign Fighters Come From
The Islamic State's brutal murders of American journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff by a man who spoke with a British accent has drawn more attention to foreign fighters in Syria. Though it isn't certain both videos were recorded in Syria, the man dubbed "Jihadi John" is probably just one of up to 500 Britons fighting there.
CNN has estimated that up to 11,000 foreigners have travelled to Syria to take up arms agains Bashar Al Assad's government. When Islamic majority countries aren't taken into account, then the vast majority of these come from Russia, unsurprising given its large Muslim population. Substantial numbers of fighters have also come from France, the United Kingdom and Germany - some 700, 500 and 300 respectively. Over 100 fighers have also travelled to Syria from the United States.
- Syrian asylum applicants to the United Kingdom (UK) 2001-2014Syrian asylum applicants to the United Kingdom (UK) 2001-2014
- United Kingdom (UK): Gross domestic product (GDP) 2000 to 2015United Kingdom (UK): Gross domestic product (GDP) 2000 to 2015
- Unemployment rate in the United Kingdom 2020Unemployment rate in the United Kingdom 2020
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2016Most popular Facebook fan pages 2016
- U.S. retail prices of diesel fuel monthly 2015-2016U.S. retail prices of diesel fuel monthly 2015-2016
- Change of gasoline price in selected countries 2015-2016Change of gasoline price in selected countries 2015-2016
- Change of diesel price in selected countries 2015-2016Change of diesel price in selected countries 2015-2016
- Change of domestic heating oil price in selected countries 2015-2016Change of domestic heating oil price in selected countries 2015-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl