The Internet Is Gradually Replacing Traditional Media
According to data published by ZenithOptimedia this week, people around the world now spend more than eight hours a day consuming media, with the Internet taking up an increasingly large chunk of total media consumption.
In 2014, people spent 110 minutes a day online, up from just 60 minutes in 2010. Meanwhile traditional media usage, i.e. TV, newspapers, magazines, radio and cinema declined from 402 to 376 minutes a day.
While television consumption fell by just 6% between 2010 and 2014, the print industry is suffering most from the new digital competition. Newspaper and magazine consumption dropped by 26% and 19%, respectively, since 2010 and is expected to see further declines in the next few years.
- Location of print media consumption in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014Location of print media consumption in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014
- Distribution of media consumption time in the United Kingdom 2014, by media and ageDistribution of media consumption time in the United Kingdom 2014, by media and age
- Distribution of media consumption time in the UK 2014, by media and genderDistribution of media consumption time in the UK 2014, by media and gender
- Media usage in an online minute 2016Media usage in an online minute 2016
- Weekly time spent with media per user in the U.S. 2016, by ageWeekly time spent with media per user in the U.S. 2016, by age
- Time spent with media in the U.S. 2011-2018Time spent with media in the U.S. 2011-2018
- Global newspaper audience 2015, by platformGlobal newspaper audience 2015, by platform
- Value of the global entertainment and media market 2011-2020Value of the global entertainment and media market 2011-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl