Sportswear Giants Stock Up on Fitness Apps
A couple of years ago, when you went for a run, you laced up your shoes and you ran. You didn’t know how many steps you took, how many calories you burned and hopefully there was no little voice in your head telling you how good a job you were doing. Well, things change. These days, a smartphone with a proper fitness app seems to be just as essential to many runners as running shoes were back in the days.
This trend hasn’t gone unnoticed by sporting goods companies. According to research conducted by Statista’s Digital Market Outlook, Adidas, Under Armour and Asics alone spent a total of more than a billion U.S. dollars on fitness app acquisitions over the past few years. It’s an investment that does seem to make sense: Having their own fitness app doesn’t only put sportswear companies in touch with millions of sports fans; it also provides them with tons of valuable information about them.
By 2020, the number of users of paid fitness apps in the United States is expected to reach 38.7 million. So it might be worth to keep an eye on this particular market. To find out more about the use of technology in sports, check out Statista’s free market report “eHealth: Fitness”.
- Health and fitness app access frequency of U.S. users 2014Health and fitness app access frequency of U.S. users 2014
- Most used fitness apps in the Netherlands 2016Most used fitness apps in the Netherlands 2016
- Digital Market Outlook: eHealth fitness users in the UK 2014-2020, by subsegmentDigital Market Outlook: eHealth fitness users in the UK 2014-2020, by subsegment
- Investment deal count in digital health industry globally 2010-2016Investment deal count in digital health industry globally 2010-2016
- Investor funding in digital health industry 2010-2016Investor funding in digital health industry 2010-2016
- Investments in most active U.S. metro area in digital health industry 2016Investments in most active U.S. metro area in digital health industry 2016
- Value of global digital health market by major segment 2015-2020Value of global digital health market by major segment 2015-2020
- Forecast CAGR global digital health market by major segment 2015-2020Forecast CAGR global digital health market by major segment 2015-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl