Some Athletes Are Chasing Huge Gold Medal Bonuses
The glory of winning a gold medal is a massive incentive for athletes competing in Rio but the impressive bonuses on offer add another more lucrative dimension to the games. The size of the bonus on offer varies hugely by country. For example, British athletes do not receive bonus for winning a gold medal whereas American competitors get $25,000 for every gold they take home.
Successful athletes from Singapore are awarded a prize of $1 million Singapore dollars, not a bad day at the office at all. Indonesia offers its successful Olympians around $380,000, according to Fox Sports Australia. The following infographic provides an overview of the biggest estimated cash rewards for gold medal winners in Rio (the values were converted from Australian to U.S. dollars).
- Summer Olympics coverage consumption in the U.S. 2016Summer Olympics coverage consumption in the U.S. 2016
- Summer Olympics coverage consumption in the U.S. 2016, by ethnicitySummer Olympics coverage consumption in the U.S. 2016, by ethnicity
- Summer Olympics coverage consumption in the U.S. 2016, by genderSummer Olympics coverage consumption in the U.S. 2016, by gender
- Leading countries in the Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index 2017Leading countries in the Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index 2017
- Number of Lululemon athletica stores worldwide 2011-2016, by countryNumber of Lululemon athletica stores worldwide 2011-2016, by country
- Largest container ports worldwide - by volume of cargo handled 2016Largest container ports worldwide - by volume of cargo handled 2016
- Semiconductor industry vendors by revenue worldwide 2009-2016Semiconductor industry vendors by revenue worldwide 2009-2016
- Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2017Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl