U.S. Foreign Policy
The U.S. dropped 26,171 bombs in 2016
According to recently released figures, the United States dropped 26,171 bombs on foreign countries in 2016. The map below was recently featured in the Independent and it was compiled with data from Micah Zenko at the Council on Foreign Relations. Unsurprisingly, the majority of U.S. airstrikes, both manned and unmanned, occurred in Syria and Iraq. 12,192 bombs were dropped on Syria while 12,095 were dropped on Iraq last year. At least 1,337 bombs were also dropped on Afghanistan.
Last week, B-2 Spirit stealth bombers attacked Isis targets in Libya, conducting a round trip from Whiteman Air Force Base in the continental United States. In 2016, Libya found itself in the crosshairs of U.S. aircraft frequently with just under 500 bombs dropped on targets there.
- Number of attacks involving car bombs worldwide 2011-2013Number of attacks involving car bombs worldwide 2011-2013
- Airstrikes by allies in Iraq and Syria from 2014 to 2017Airstrikes by allies in Iraq and Syria from 2014 to 2017
- Share of allied countries conducting airstrikes in Iraq and Syria 2014-2017Share of allied countries conducting airstrikes in Iraq and Syria 2014-2017
- Number of suicide bombings worldwide 2011 - 2013Number of suicide bombings worldwide 2011 - 2013
- Italy: opinion on U.S. military strike on Syrian military base 2017Italy: opinion on U.S. military strike on Syrian military base 2017
- Terrorism - people killed/injured by suicide attacks worldwide 2016, by weaponTerrorism - people killed/injured by suicide attacks worldwide 2016, by weapon
- Breakdown of the weapons used in attacks committed by ISIL from 2013 until 2015Breakdown of the weapons used in attacks committed by ISIL from 2013 until 2015
- Terrorist attacks in the United States from 1970 to 2015, by weapon type Terrorist attacks in the United States from 1970 to 2015, by weapon type
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl