Snap files for an IPO
How Snapchat Compares to Facebook and Twitter Pre-IPO
Snapchat’s parent company Snap officially filed for its IPO on Thursday, lifting the veil on how the company is doing prior to its planned public offering in March. Seeking a valuation of $20+ billion, the IPO will likely be the largest of a U.S. tech startup since Twitter went public in late 2013.
Speaking of Twitter, how does Snapchat compare to its prominent predecessors? As our chart illustrates, Facebook was an entirely different beast when it filed for its blockbuster IPO in 2012, which valued the company at $104 billion. Back then, Facebook had more than 500 million daily active users, generated $4+ billion in revenue a year and was actually profitable. Snap lost more money than it made last year and, while respectable, its 158 million daily users are nowhere near Facebook’s levels. To be fair, Snap plans to raise $3 billion at a valuation of around $20 billion compared to Facebook’s $16 billion at a valuation of $104 billion. So comparing the two may not be entirely fair.
- Students using Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat in the Netherlands 2016Students using Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat in the Netherlands 2016
- Global Snapchat teen usage penetration 2016Global Snapchat teen usage penetration 2016
- Snapchat: usage penetration in selected countries 2014Snapchat: usage penetration in selected countries 2014
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016
- Top medtech mergers and acquisitions by value 2015-2016Top medtech mergers and acquisitions by value 2015-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl