Corruption is Widespread Across Europe
According to a new report by the European Commission, the extent of corruption across Europe is “breathtaking”, costing the EU economy at least €120 billion every year. The Commission said it was the first time it has done a survey like this and the results are certainly interesting.
Respondents across the European Union were asked if they are “personally affected by corruption in daily life”, among other questions. At the top of the scale, 63 percent of people in both Spain and Greece agreed that they are affected by daily corruption. In Cyprus, the figure was 57 percent.
According to the views of those polled, the least corrupt countries in the European Union are Denmark, France and Germany. Just 3 percent of Danes feel they are affected by corruption in daily life and this figure rises slightly to 6 percent in both France and Germany.
- Total population of the European Union (EU) 2016Total population of the European Union (EU) 2016
- Youth unemployment rate in the European Union and the euro area 2016Youth unemployment rate in the European Union and the euro area 2016
- Gross domestic product (GDP) in the European Union (EU) until 2015Gross domestic product (GDP) in the European Union (EU) until 2015
- Economic contribution of travel and tourism to GDP worldwide 2006-2016Economic contribution of travel and tourism to GDP worldwide 2006-2016
- Change of diesel price in selected countries 2016-2017Change of diesel price in selected countries 2016-2017
- China: clothing production by month February 2017China: clothing production by month February 2017
- Unemployment rate in EU countries January 2017Unemployment rate in EU countries January 2017
- Value of imports into China by month February 2017Value of imports into China by month February 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl