Consumers Wary of Mobile Payment Security
After Apple introduced its very own mobile payment service named "Apple Pay" this week, many commentators are predicting a breakthrough for smartphone payments. However, there are more reasons for consumers not to use existing mobile payment services than the fact that Apple wasn't involved in the market thus far. First and foremost, consumers worry about the security of smartphone payments.
According to a survey conducted by Thrive Analytics in June 2014, 46% of those consumers who haven't used their smartphones to pay for stuff cited security concerns as one of the reasons for not doing so. Many others simply don't see the benefit of mobile payments or have never thought about it at all. It will be interesting to observe whether Apple and its wide range of partners can wipe away the security doubts and convince consumers of the benefits of smartphone payments.
- Global mobile payments market share 2017, by regionGlobal mobile payments market share 2017, by region
- Preference for the use of mobile payments in Europe & the UK 2015, by categoryPreference for the use of mobile payments in Europe & the UK 2015, by category
- Mobile payments usage on smartphones in the UK 2013-2015, by transaction typeMobile payments usage on smartphones in the UK 2013-2015, by transaction type
- PayPal: annual mobile payment volume 2008-2015PayPal: annual mobile payment volume 2008-2015
- PayPal: active registered user accounts 2010-2016PayPal: active registered user accounts 2010-2016
- PayPal: number of payments per quarter 2014-2016PayPal: number of payments per quarter 2014-2016
- PayPal: total payment volume 2014-2016PayPal: total payment volume 2014-2016
- Paypal: quarterly net revenue 2010-2016Paypal: quarterly net revenue 2010-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl