Huawei Tops International Patent Filings in 2014
Chinese telecom giant Huawei led international patent filings in 2014, as the total number of patent applications filed under the Patent Cooperation Treaty reached a record high of 214,500. According to the World Intellectual Property Organization, Huawei applied for 3,442 patents, edging out US chipmaker Qualcomm and Chinese competitor ZTE with 2,409 and 2,179 applications, respectively.
With 61,492 patent applications, the United States was the primary origin of patent applicants ahead of Japan (42,459) and China (25,539). Among the Top 10 filing countries, China was the only country to see double-digit growth in 2014, as the country’s efforts to foster home-grown innovation appear to pay off.
The Patent Cooperation Treaty was concluded in 1970 and went into force in 1978. Its aim is to facilitate the acquisition of patents in multiple regions at once, making the filing of multiple national patent applications obsolete. However, the decision to grant patents remains the prerogative of the national patent offices of the 148 member states and patent rights are limited to the regions where the patent has been granted.
- Patents in force as a percentage of total patent applications 1990-2015Patents in force as a percentage of total patent applications 1990-2015
- Number of Japanese patent applications to foreign countries 2014Number of Japanese patent applications to foreign countries 2014
- China: patent applications high-tech industry 2004-2014China: patent applications high-tech industry 2004-2014
- Estimated sales of major generic introductions in U.S. 2016Estimated sales of major generic introductions in U.S. 2016
- Revenue from top 20 women health products in the U.S. 2015Revenue from top 20 women health products in the U.S. 2015
- Largest banks worldwide 2016, by assetsLargest banks worldwide 2016, by assets
- Top branded biologic drugs in the U.S. that will go generic by 2028Top branded biologic drugs in the U.S. that will go generic by 2028
- Companies with the most patents granted in 2015Companies with the most patents granted in 2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl