Syria Is The Worst Refugee Crisis Of Our Generation
Last week, the United Nations reported that the number of people fleeing the war in Syria had surpassed 4 million, making it the worst refugee crisis of our generation. The sheer scale of the Syrian exodus becomes evident through a comparison with several other conflicts that have taken place since 1991.
Even though the chart below focuses on selected conflicts since 1991, Afghanistan has been in turmoil far longer than that. Since the Soviet invasion in 1979, an estimated 2.6 million Afghans have been forced to flee their homeland while the genocide in Rwanda resulted in 2.3 million people being displaced.
- Preferred regions to migrate to for Syrian refugees in 2015Preferred regions to migrate to for Syrian refugees in 2015
- UK support for refusing Syrian refugees wanting to enter the UK 2015UK support for refusing Syrian refugees wanting to enter the UK 2015
- Number of Syrian refugees in Canada as of September 25, 2016, by entrance categoryNumber of Syrian refugees in Canada as of September 25, 2016, by entrance category
- Accepted asylum applicants in Germany from Q1 2014 to Q2 2016Accepted asylum applicants in Germany from Q1 2014 to Q2 2016
- Oil reserves in selected countries 1990-2015Oil reserves in selected countries 1990-2015
- Inflation rate in Syria 2010Inflation rate in Syria 2010
- National debt of Syria in relation to gross domestic product (GDP) 2010National debt of Syria in relation to gross domestic product (GDP) 2010
- Countries with the highest unemployment rateCountries with the highest unemployment rate
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl