Top 10 U.S. Patent Recipients
IBM may not grab as many headlines as some other tech heavyweights, but that doesn’t mean the company has stopped innovating. In fact, 2015 marked the 23rd straight year in which IBM was awarded more patents in the United States than any other company. During those 23 years, IBM’s inventors received a total of 88,000 U.S. patents according to a company press release celebrating the achievement.
In 2015, IBM was granted 7,355 patents, more than 2,000 of them in the areas of cognitive computing and cloud solutions. Samsung came in second with 5,072 patents ahead of Canon with 4,134. The rest of the Top 10 is largely made up of the usual suspects with U.S. tech heavyweights such as Microsoft, Intel and Google alongside international electronics companies such as Sony, Toshiba and LG. One company that is surprisingly missing from the Top 10 is Apple. The iPhone maker, often considered one of the most innovative companies in the world, is ranked 11th just 18 patents short of making the Top 10.
- U.S. bioscience-related patents 2009-2015U.S. bioscience-related patents 2009-2015
- Breakdown of vehicle industry patents in China 2006-2011, by typeBreakdown of vehicle industry patents in China 2006-2011, by type
- Number of U.S. patents held by tech companies in 2012Number of U.S. patents held by tech companies in 2012
- Estimated sales of major generic introductions in U.S. 2016Estimated sales of major generic introductions in U.S. 2016
- Revenue from top 20 women health products in the U.S. 2015Revenue from top 20 women health products in the U.S. 2015
- Largest banks worldwide 2016, by assetsLargest banks worldwide 2016, by assets
- Top branded biologic drugs in the U.S. that will go generic by 2028Top branded biologic drugs in the U.S. that will go generic by 2028
- Companies with the most patents granted in 2016Companies with the most patents granted in 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl