Google Overtakes Apple as Most Valuable Company
As of this morning, Apple is officially no longer the most valuable company in the world. After a positive Q4 earnings report, Alphabet, aka the company formally known as Google, saw its shares soar in early trading on Tuesday, lifting its market capitalization past Apple’s.
As of 10:15 AM EST, Alphabet was valued at $553 billion, eclipsing Apple’s market capitalization by $25 billion. 12 months ago, Google trailed Apple’s valuation by $330 billion. Since then, the search giant’s market cap increased by more than 50 percent while Apple saw its valuation drop by 24 percent.
Apple had first become the world’s most valuable company in 2011, when it surpassed Exxon Mobil, the long-time leader in this category. After several comebacks from Exxon, Apple reclaimed the title in August 2013 and had been on top ever since. Until today.
- Alphabet's & Google's revenue: share generated in the United Kingdom (UK) 2007-2015Alphabet's & Google's revenue: share generated in the United Kingdom (UK) 2007-2015
- Most highly compensated executive officers of Google 2013-2015Most highly compensated executive officers of Google 2013-2015
- Alphabet: number of full-time employees 2007-2016Alphabet: number of full-time employees 2007-2016
- Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016
- The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017
- Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- U.S. internet usage penetration 2016, by age groupU.S. internet usage penetration 2016, by age group
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl