Smartphone vs. other gadgets
The Smartphone's Victims
As the mobile industry is gathering in Barcelona this week to show off the latest trends in smartphone technology, it’s time to spare a thought for those devices that have fallen victim to the smartphone’s unstoppable rise.
Ten years ago – the iPhone had just been unveiled but was yet to be unleashed on the world – we used to rely on a variety of devices to help us complete different tasks. Most of us had a mobile phone to text and make calls, an MP3 player to listen to music, a digital camera to take vacation pictures and a navigation system to help us find our vacation home in the first place. What a difference ten years make. These days, we only need one device to do all of the above and sales of non-smartphone gadgets have subsequently plummeted.
The below chart, based on data from the Consumer Electronics Association, shows how far sales of devices with more limited functionalities have dropped at the hand of smartphones and their many talents.
- Average prices for digital cameras and camcorders in Germany 2005-2015Average prices for digital cameras and camcorders in Germany 2005-2015
- Sales volume of camcorders and digital cameras in Germany 2005-2015Sales volume of camcorders and digital cameras in Germany 2005-2015
- Household penetration of digital cameras in the U.S. 2013-2016Household penetration of digital cameras in the U.S. 2013-2016
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month March 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month March 2016
- U.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2017, by monthU.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2017, by month
- Market share of the most common operating systems in Germany 2009-2017Market share of the most common operating systems in Germany 2009-2017
- IT devices total worldwide spending 2014-2021IT devices total worldwide spending 2014-2021
- Total number of Best Buy stores worldwide 2010-2017Total number of Best Buy stores worldwide 2010-2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl