Are Smartphones Killing Digital Cameras?
“The best camera is the one that’s with you”. This phrase, coined by the award-winning photographer Chase Jarvis, probably best describes the impact that smartphone cameras had and still have on the world of photography. The cameras built into our phones may still be inferior to dedicated digital cameras in general and SLR cameras in particular, but they are constantly getting closer and they have the priceless advantage of always being within reach.
When the first touchscreen smartphones made waves in 2007 and 2008, the camera industry was doing very well. In 2008, members of the CIPA, an association of the world’s most renowned camera makers, shipped almost 120 million digital cameras and probably didn’t worry too much about the upcoming competition. Back then, smartphone cameras were no match in terms of image quality and photo apps such as Instagram or Snapchat hadn’t been invented yet.
Less than 10 years later, the situation of the camera industry looks very different. At the same time as smartphones became more and more ubiquitous, the lenses and sensors built into them became ever more powerful. The soon-to-be-released iPhone 7 Plus has two camera lenses, bringing its capabilities even closer to those of sophisticated SLR cameras. As our chart illustrates, the camera industry could be in serious trouble as a consequence. In 2016, CIPA members shipped 24.2 million digital cameras, down 80 percent from peak sales in 2010 – the year that Instagram was launched.
- Average prices for digital cameras and camcorders in Germany 2005-2015Average prices for digital cameras and camcorders in Germany 2005-2015
- Sales volume of camcorders and digital cameras in Germany 2005-2015Sales volume of camcorders and digital cameras in Germany 2005-2015
- Digital Cameras: Average unit price in the U.S.Digital Cameras: Average unit price in the U.S.
- U.S. consumer electronics industry wholesale revenue 2009-2017U.S. consumer electronics industry wholesale revenue 2009-2017
- Total number of Best Buy stores worldwide 2010-2016Total number of Best Buy stores worldwide 2010-2016
- Android: global smartphone OS market share 2011-2016, by quarterAndroid: global smartphone OS market share 2011-2016, by quarter
- Video analytics market size worldwide 2015-2022Video analytics market size worldwide 2015-2022
- Wearable cameras global market size 2015-2021Wearable cameras global market size 2015-2021
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl