North Korea Has Conducted Its Fifth Nuclear Test
This morning, North Korea conducted its fifth nuclear test. The US Geological Survey reported that the explosion caused a magnitude 5.3 earthquake in the area of the test site. This resulted in children being evacuated from their school in the nearby Jilin province of China. Politically, the shockwaves are being felt much further afield, with US President Obama warning this latest test will have 'serious consequences' for Pyongyang.
North Korea's Taepodong-2 missile is thought to have a range of 6,000 kilometres which would put Alaska in range of a potential hydrogen bomb, even though experts do not believe the country has developed a nuclear warhead small enough to fit on a missile. By way of comparison, since 1945 the United States has carried out the most nuclear tests (1,032), followed by the USSR/Russia's 715.
- Trust in British political parties in handling nuclear weapons system 'Trident' 2015Trust in British political parties in handling nuclear weapons system 'Trident' 2015
- Attitudes to Britain’s nuclear weapons 2013 Great Britain surveyAttitudes to Britain’s nuclear weapons 2013 Great Britain survey
- Global opinion on Iran and the acquisition of nuclear weapons, 2012Global opinion on Iran and the acquisition of nuclear weapons, 2012
- Countries with the highest military spending in 2015Countries with the highest military spending in 2015
- Major countries in worldwide graphite production 2010-2015Major countries in worldwide graphite production 2010-2015
- Countries with the largest number of people in modern slavery 2016Countries with the largest number of people in modern slavery 2016
- Distribution of nickel consumption worldwide by country 2014Distribution of nickel consumption worldwide by country 2014
- Most costly natural disasters to insurance industry worldwide 2015Most costly natural disasters to insurance industry worldwide 2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl