Temporary work industry in the U.S. - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the temporary work industry in the U.S.
Temporary work is a form of employment in which a person is contracted to work for an employer for a limited period of time. Temporary work is usually found through employment agencies but can also be applied for directly with a company in the case of seasonal work, for example in restaurants and at theme parks. In the United States, staffing and recruiting industry sales exceeded 122 billion U.S. dollars in 2013, 89.2 percent of which was generated in the temporary and contract employment sector.
Employment agencies find employees for client companies that use them for temporary work assignments. Even though the temporary workers are doing work for the client companies, they always remain employees of the agency. Globally, Swiss company Adecco is the leading employment agency in terms of revenue. In 2014, the company’s revenue amounted to 22.72 billion U.S. dollars, with the largest share of its business generated in the industrial sector. U.S. company Manpower is a close competitor of Adecco, with almost 21 billion dollars in revenue in 2014. Manpower placed approximately 3.4 million people into permanent, temporary and contract positions worldwide during the same year.
In the United States, temporary and contract employment totaled 11 million in 2013, showing a steady decline from 17.3 million in 2000. While employment figures declined between 2000 and 2013, the average length of temporary and contract assignments rose from 9.6 weeks in 2000 to 14.3 weeks in 2013.
Photo: istockphoto.com / grapix; sxc.hu / beni_bb
|Global annual sales revenue of the agency work industry||€315bn||Details →|
|Annual temporary and contract staffing sales||$109.2bn||Details →|
|Staffing and recruiting industry sales||$130bn||Details →|
|Temporary Work Employees||Values||Statistic|
|Annual temporary and contract staffing employment||14.6m||Details →|
|Temporary and contract staffing average daily employment||2.9m||Details →|
|Average employment tenure of contract and temporary employees||11.3wk||Details →|
|Number of private employment agencies in the U.S.||17,340||Details →|
|Total annual employment in corporate search and placement services||272.2k||Details →|
|Sales revenue of the leading private employment agency worldwide||€19.7bn||Details →|
- Annual sales revenue of the agency work industry worldwide 2002-2014+Annual sales revenue of the agency work industry worldwide 2002-2014
Annual sales revenue of the agency work industry worldwide from 2002 to 2014 (in billion euros)
- Gender distribution of agency workers in the U.S. 2014+Gender distribution of agency workers in the U.S. 2014
Gender distribution of agency workers in the United States in 2014
- Revenue of Manpower Group worldwide 2006-2016Revenue of Manpower Group worldwide 2006-2016
Revenue of Manpower Group worldwide from 2006 to 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Distribution of staffing and recruiting industry sales in the U.S. 2000-2014+Distribution of staffing and recruiting industry sales in the U.S. 2000-2014
Distribution of staffing and recruiting industry sales in the United States from 2000 to 2014, by category
- Forecast: revenue employment placement agencies US 2008-2020+Forecast: revenue employment placement agencies US 2008-2020
Revenue of employment placement agencies (NAICS 56131) in United States from 2008 to 2020 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Full-time employees - unadjusted monthly number in the U.S. February 2017Full-time employees - unadjusted monthly number in the U.S. February 2017
- Puma's number of employees worldwide 1993-2016Puma's number of employees worldwide 1993-2016
- Revenue of select staffing / temporary employment companies worldwide 2015Revenue of select staffing / temporary employment companies worldwide 2015
- Polo Ralph Lauren's workforce worldwide 2009-2016Polo Ralph Lauren's workforce worldwide 2009-2016
- Hospital staffing ratios of FTEs per occupied bed by MHS ownership in the U.S. 2014Hospital staffing ratios of FTEs per occupied bed by MHS ownership in the U.S. 2014