64% of the World's Extremely Poor Live in Just 5 Countries
The IMF and the World Bank are holding their annual spring meetings this weekend and one of the main topics on the agenda is the fight against extreme poverty. On that occasion, the World Bank has released a report on global poverty yesterday, which contains some interesting data.
Astonishingly, according to the report, 64% of the world’s extremely poor population lives in just 5 countries, namely India, China, Nigeria, Bangladesh and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Our chart shows each of these countries’ share of the world’s poor population alongside the countries’ share of the total world population. Considering population as well, makes clear that the overall situation is much worse in India and Nigeria than it is in China. China accounts for 19% of the world’s population but for “only” 13% of the world’s poor population. With India it’s the other way around: 18% of the world's total population and 33% of the world's poorest population live in India.
- Pharma company ranking based on R&D for developing countries 2014Pharma company ranking based on R&D for developing countries 2014
- Pharma products in pipeline for top 10 diseases in developing countries 2014Pharma products in pipeline for top 10 diseases in developing countries 2014
- Pharma company ranking based on access to medicine in developing countries 2014Pharma company ranking based on access to medicine in developing countries 2014
- China: clothing production by month September 2016China: clothing production by month September 2016
- Car production in China 2006-2016Car production in China 2006-2016
- Monthly inflation rate in industrial and emerging markets 2016Monthly inflation rate in industrial and emerging markets 2016
- Poverty rate in the United States 1990-2015Poverty rate in the United States 1990-2015
- Median household income in the United States 1990-2015Median household income in the United States 1990-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl