Google and Facebook Dominate U.S. App Landscape
With a reach of 72.6% among iOS and Android app users, Facebook ranked as the most popular mobile app in the United States in September 2014. According to comScore's data, Facebook's controversial decision to disable the messaging feature in its primary app didn't have an impact on the app's reach. Instead, Facebook's reach remained almost universal, while the company's messenger app climbed up the rankings and is now the 6th most popular app reaching 41.6% of the adult app audience.
A brief look at the Top 10 apps makes abundantly clear how strong Facebook and Google are positioned in the mobile app landscape. 8 of the Top 10 apps in the U.S. are owned by either of the two companies, with only Pandora Radio and Apple Maps crashing the party. Considering these numbers, it comes as no surprise that Google and Facebook make more money from mobile advertising than any of their competitors.
- Mobile app usage level in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015, by typeMobile app usage level in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015, by type
- Canada mobile banking app usage 2015Canada mobile banking app usage 2015
- Smartphone app usage frequency in China 2012Smartphone app usage frequency in China 2012
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017
- Leading iPhone apps in Great Britain (GB) 2017, by revenue Leading iPhone apps in Great Britain (GB) 2017, by revenue
- U.S. adults that would use an app for health emergencies 2017U.S. adults that would use an app for health emergencies 2017
- Annual number of global mobile app downloads 2016-2021Annual number of global mobile app downloads 2016-2021
- Annual number of global mobile app downloads 2016-2021, by regionAnnual number of global mobile app downloads 2016-2021, by region
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl