Amazon's revenue by geography
Amazon Excels on Home Turf
For a company known to be a global e-commerce leader, Amazon is surprisingly dependent on its home market. According its latest annual report, Amazon generated two thirds of its revenue in the United States last year. With U.S. sales amounting to $90.3 billion, the company’s domestic business is more than six times as large as its largest international market, which is Germany with $14.1 billion in sales.
What’s even more surprising, given Amazon’s international growth ambitions, is the fact that the company’s dependence on the home market is increasing. The percentage of sales Amazon generates in the United States grew from 61% in 2014 to 66% in 2016. Notably absent from Amazon’s largest international markets is China, where Amazon struggles to compete with local players.
- Global net revenue of Amazon 2014-2016, by segmentGlobal net revenue of Amazon 2014-2016, by segment
- Number of Amazon Video subscribers in Western Europe 2015-2021Number of Amazon Video subscribers in Western Europe 2015-2021
- Most popular U.S. Amazon product categories 2016Most popular U.S. Amazon product categories 2016
- Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites 2017Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites 2017
- Sales of the leading 10 consumer electronics retailers of the U.S. 2015-2016Sales of the leading 10 consumer electronics retailers of the U.S. 2015-2016
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl