Amazon Dwarfs U.S. Retailers in Terms of Market Cap
When Amazon held its IPO in 1997, the leadership at retail companies such as Walmart, Costco and Target probably didn’t lose any sleep over what that upstart online bookstore from Seattle might one day do to their businesses. 25 years later, Amazon is selling pretty much everything online and is constantly expanding into new categories, taking more business away from its offline-first rivals.
As our chart illustrates, Amazon is now by far the largest retail company in the United States, at least in terms of market capitalization. Currently valued at $458 billion, Amazon is worth nearly twice as much as Walmart, which is still the largest retail chain in the country in terms of sales.
- Leading 15 apparel retailers worldwide 2011, by market capitalizationLeading 15 apparel retailers worldwide 2011, by market capitalization
- Leading European banks in 2014, by market capitalizationLeading European banks in 2014, by market capitalization
- Domestic equity market capitalization worldwide 2013-2016Domestic equity market capitalization worldwide 2013-2016
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month March 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month March 2016
- Number of stores of the Home Depot and Lowe's worldwide 2011-2016Number of stores of the Home Depot and Lowe's worldwide 2011-2016
- Consumer confidence in China March 2017Consumer confidence in China March 2017
- Sales of the leading 10 consumer electronics retailers of the U.S. 2015-2016Sales of the leading 10 consumer electronics retailers of the U.S. 2015-2016
- Retail sales of apparel and footwear in China by month March 2017Retail sales of apparel and footwear in China by month March 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl