Online shopping cart abandonment Despite a growing share of shopping happening online, getting customers to follow through and complete an online purchase can be difficult. Online shoppers are faced by a barrage of distractions when browsing or attempting to make a purchase online. Not only do the retailing websites attempt to display the most trending items and inspire add-on purchases, but in-site advertisements for other stores can lead the shopper away from the intended goal as well.
A large number of consumers tend to use other media such as radio, television, or online chat rooms when shopping online along with the added distractions of phones and email. These outside interruptions, along with the internal website issues of costs, security, and efficiency can cause a shopper to forget about or intentionally abandon their online shopping basket.
A growing number of consumers are shopping online via mobile devices. Conversion rates tend to be higher, however, when customers shop online from larger devices such as PCs as opposed to smartphones. It appears that shoppers will use their mobile devices to browse rather than to complete a purchase. There is less cart abandonment on major shopping holidays, such as Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and, unsurprisingly, online retail giant Amazon.com has the most successful conversion rate of all e-tailers.
We are the global leading platform for business data from 600 industries and 50 countries.
|Share of respondents|
$49 / Month *
Prices do not include sales tax.
in one Presentation
Everything On "Online shopping behavior in the United States" in One Document: Edited and Divided into Handy Chapters. Including Detailed References.
Statista has been my savior on several occasions. The site is easy to maneuver and the data is in a format that can go right into a report or presentation.
Vice President, Hearst Magazines
- U.S. customer satisfaction with online retail from 2000 to 2018 (index score)ACSI - U.S. customer satisfaction with online retail as of 2018
- Average value of online shopping orders in the United States as of 1st quarter 2019, by device (in U.S. dollars)U.S. average online shopping order value 2019, by device
- Conversion rate of online shoppers in the United States as of 1st quarter 2019U.S. online shopper conversion rate 2018-2019
- Conversion rate of online shoppers in the United States as of 1st quarter 2019, by deviceU.S. online shopper conversion rate 2019, by device
- Online shopping and buying-related activities performed by internet users in the United States as of March 2018, by ageOnline shopping and buying-related activities by U.S. internet users in 2018, by age
- Most important attributes of the online shopping experience according to shoppers in the United States as of November 2018Most important factors of online shopping according to U.S. shoppers 2018
- Preferred shopping method among digital shoppers in the United States as of February 2018U.S. preferred shopping method among digital shoppers 2018
- How important are each of the following to you when you shop for a product online?Important factors when shopping for a product online according to U.S. shoppers 2017
- Which of these do you consider good reasons to buy an item online?Drivers of online purchases in the U.S. 2019
- Which price difference do you expect when you shop online rather than in a store?Expected price difference for online shops by U.S. consumers 2018
- Which of these items have you bought online in the past 12 months?Online purchases by category in the U.S. 2019
- For which of these products do you mostly look for information online rather than offline?Online vs. offline product research by category in the U.S. 2019
- Most popular mobile shopping apps in the United States as of June 2019, by reachMost popular e-commerce apps in the U.S. 2019, by reach
- Most popular mobile shopping apps in the United States as of June 2019, by monthly users (in millions)Most popular e-commerce apps in the U.S. 2019, by audience
- Share of time spent on retailers' mobile apps vs. websites among internet users in the United States as of March 2019Share of time spend on U.S. retailers mobile apps vs. mobile websites 2019
- Share of mobile device owners in the United States who have performed select mobile shopping activities via app in the past month as of February 2019U.S. mobile users shopping activities via app 2019
- Share of mobile visits to leading retail websites in the United States in November and December 2018U.S. holiday shopping: mobile visits leading retail websites 2018
- Preferred way of receiving mobile coupons from retailers according to internet users in the United States as of September 2018Preferred channel to receive mobile coupons from retailers in the U.S. 2018
- Attitudes towards mobile payments according to online shoppers in the United States as of August 2018U.S. shopper mobile payment attitudes 2018
- Preferred sources of inspiration for online shoppers worldwide as of February 2019Sources of shopping inspiration for digital shoppers worldwide 2019
- Online sources where digital shoppers in the United States start searching for products as of February 2019U.S. digital shoppers preferred online sources for product search 2019
- Share of online shoppers worldwide who look for shopping inspiration on search engines as of February 2019, by age group Online shoppers worldwide who use search engines for inspiration 2019, by age group
- Online sources used by consumers worldwide to start searching for products as of February 2019Online sources for product searches worldwide 2019
- Social commerce activities according to internet users worldwide as of 1st quarter 2019, by age groupGlobal usage of social media during path to purchase 2019, by age group
- Favorite ways to shop online today and considerations for the future according to digital shoppers in the United States as of January 2019Favorite online shopping platforms in the U.S. 2019
- Channels used to purchase products according to internet users in the United States as of March 2019, by categoryU.S. leading shopping channels 2019, by category
- Stage of the digital purchase process that makes digital buyers in the United States happiest as of May 2018Best part of online shopping process according to U.S. online buyers 2017
- Delivery methods used by internet users in the United States for digital purchases as of February 2018, by age groupDelivery method preference of U.S. online shoppers 2018, by age group
- Items that internet users in the United States want to have vs. have received via same-day delivery as of February 2018, by categoryU.S. internet user same-day delivery usage 2018, by category
- Delivery methods used by consumers in the United States for digital purchases as of February 2018Delivery method preference of U.S. online shoppers 2018
- Consumer preferences and purchasing behavior based on e-commerce delivery services worldwide as of July 2018, by regionConsumer preferences on purchasing & e-commerce delivery worldwide 2018, by region
- Ranking of last delivery experience with an e-commerce site according to online shoppers in the United States as of July 2018, by platformU.S. online shopper ranking of their last e-commerce delivery experience 2018
- Timeframe willing to wait for fast shipping according to U.S. consumers as of September 2018Fast online order delivery according to U.S. consumers 2018
- Which of the following statements regarding the shipping of online orders do you agree with?Statements regarding the shipping of online orders for U.S. consumers 2018
- How important in general is a quick delivery of an online order to you?Importance of a quick delivery of an online order for U.S. consumers 2018