Theatre & Broadway in the U.S. - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Theatre & Broadway in the U.S.
In the United States, the theatre industry provides a popular pastime for many people. According to a survey conducted by Nielsen Scarborough in spring 2015, almost 47 million Americans had attended a live theatre event within the past month and around 17.6 million people had visited a symphony concert or an opera performance.
The Broadway theatre district in Manhattan, New York City is central to the theatre industry in the U.S. Within this area operate 40 theatres, each with more than 500 seats. During the 2015/16 theatre season, the revenue of Broadway shows in New York reached approximately 1.37 billion U.S. dollars. The majority of this revenue was generated through musical performances (1.17 billion U.S. dollars). Plays and musicals on Broadway were attended by more than 13 million people in 2015/16 and, on average, show tickets cost a total of 103.11 U.S. dollars.
Not-for-profit professional theatres are another important part of the performing arts market in the U.S. Attendance rates at these theatres exceeded 34 million in 2013. Single tickets for performances at these venues cost around 37 U.S. dollars on average in 2015, although prices varied considerably, depending, for example, on the (budget) size of the theatre. Approximately 139 thousand people worked for not-for-profit professional theatres in some capacity in the United States in 2015.
Photo: sxc.hu / forwardcom
|Not-For-Profit Theatres in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Earning of not-for-profit professional theatres||1.15bn USD||Details →|
|Artistic workforce in U.S. not-for-profit professional theatres||93,000||Details →|
|Average income for not-for-profit theatres through ticket sales in the U.S.||3.11m USD||Details →|
|Average single ticket price at not-for-profit U.S. theatres||37.2m USD||Details →|
|Attendance at nonprofit professional theatres||34.9m||Details →|
- Number of new shows performed on Broadway in New York 2006-2016+Number of new shows performed on Broadway in New York 2006-2016
Number of new shows performed on Broadway in New York from 2006 to 2016
- Finances of not-for-profit professional theatres in the U.S. 2009-2015+Finances of not-for-profit professional theatres in the U.S. 2009-2015
Finances of not-for-profit professional theatres in the United States from 2009 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Earned income of not-for-profit theatres in the U.S 2008-2015+Earned income of not-for-profit theatres in the U.S 2008-2015
Average income of not-for-profit theatres through subscriptions in the United States from 2008 to 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)*
- Average paid admission at Broadway shows in New York 2007-2016, by category+Average paid admission at Broadway shows in New York 2007-2016, by category
Average paid admission at Broadway shows in New York from 2007 to 2016, by category (in U.S. dollars)
- Visitors of symphony concerts/ operas in the U.S. 2016+Visitors of symphony concerts/ operas in the U.S. 2016
Number of people who visited symphony concerts/ operas within the last 12 months in the United States from spring 2008 to spring 2016 (in millions)
- Italy: entertainment industry venues in Abruzzo 2015, by typeItaly: entertainment industry venues in Abruzzo 2015, by type
- Number of cinemas in Denmark 2006-2016Number of cinemas in Denmark 2006-2016
- Favorite movie/TV genres in the U.S. by gender 2016Favorite movie/TV genres in the U.S. by gender 2016
- E-mail marketing click-through rate in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016, by sectorE-mail marketing click-through rate in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016, by sector
- E-mail marketing open rates in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016, by sectorE-mail marketing open rates in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016, by sector