U.S. Singles - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Singles in the U.S.
Since the 1960s, there has been an increasing number of singles and unmarried persons in the United States, the trend has continued and spread year after year. A single person is commonly defined as someone who is unmarried and/or not in a relationship.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the number of single-person households in the United States is increasing, while the average number of people per family has been declining since the 1960s. Additionally, the numbers of single mothers and single fathers in the United States have been subsequently increasing.
However, this development does not signal an increase in promiscuity or unfaithfulness – about half of American singles have never experienced infidelity in previous relationships and only about the same number claim to have ever had a one-night stand.
Photo: istockphoto.com / photomorphic
|Singles - Facts & Figures||Values||Statistic|
|Rhode Island has the highest share of single-person households||31.8%||Details →|
|Number of families with a single mother in the U.S.||15,630k||Details →|
|Number of families with a single father in the U.S.||6,311k||Details →|
|Singles in Love||Values||Statistic|
|Share of Americans who are passionately in love||22%||Details →|
|Share of respondents who are actively seeking a relationship||12.7%||Details →|
|Share of Americans who want to get married||34.5%||Details →|
|Singles and Dating||Values||Statistic|
|Match.com is the leading dating website, based on visitors||35m||Details →|
|Share of Americans who are single now who have met a partner online||21%||Details →|
|Singles and Sex||Values||Statistic|
|Share of American singles who have sex on the first date||4.1%||Details →|
|Share of respondents who have had a one-night-stand||58.1%||Details →|
- United States - number of families with a single father 1990-2015United States - number of families with a single father 1990-2015
Number of families with a single father* in the U.S. from 1990 to 2015 (in 1,000)
- Number of families with a single mother in the U.S. 1990-2015Number of families with a single mother in the U.S. 1990-2015
Number of families with a single mother* in the U.S. from 1990 to 2015 (in 1,000)
- Importance of romance in a relationship in the United States in 2017Importance of romance in a relationship in the United States in 2017
How important is romance to you in a relationship?
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Number of executions in the United States 2014-2017Number of executions in the United States 2014-2017
- Number of households in the U.S. 1960-2016Number of households in the U.S. 1960-2016
- Share of Americans who are in love in 2017Share of Americans who are in love in 2017
- Annual growth rate of U.S. Real GDP 1990-2016Annual growth rate of U.S. Real GDP 1990-2016
- U.S. internet usage penetration 2016, by age groupU.S. internet usage penetration 2016, by age group