Large-Scale Data Breaches Affect Millions of Users
After hackers had stolen user data from the popular dating website Asley Madison in July, the criminals now published 9.7 gigabytes of that data on what is known as the dark web. According to Wired, who were first to report the incident, the files included account details of roughly 32 million users, making the attack one of the larger data breaches in recent history.
Over the past few years, as consumers started sharing information with more and more websites, large-scale data breaches have become a worryingly common occurrence. Just last year, eBay had to ask 145 million users to change their passwords, after the company's database had been successfully attacked by hackers.
In the case of Ashley Madison, the potential damage to the affected users could be particularly spicy. After all, the dating platform considers itself "the most famous name in infidelity" and specializes in extramarital affairs.
- Average U.S. organization data breach cost 2006-2016Average U.S. organization data breach cost 2006-2016
- Cyber security market revenues worldwide 2016-2021Cyber security market revenues worldwide 2016-2021
- Share of companies buying coverage for loss of income due to data breach 2013-2015Share of companies buying coverage for loss of income due to data breach 2013-2015
- Usage of antivirus software in the Netherlands 2016 by deviceUsage of antivirus software in the Netherlands 2016 by device
- Total global security appliance market share by vendor 2013-2016Total global security appliance market share by vendor 2013-2016
- Cyber crime: largest online data breaches 2007-2016Cyber crime: largest online data breaches 2007-2016
- Cyber crime: average company loss in selected countries 2016Cyber crime: average company loss in selected countries 2016
- U.S. SMEs who have fallen victim to cybercrime 2016, by crime typeU.S. SMEs who have fallen victim to cybercrime 2016, by crime type
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl